8. A kind killer

Theme song - Kill em with kindness

Shubman Gill

"Someone's keeping a watch on Kavya." I say as soon as I enter her mansion. Poornima had been my go to person since the day she had turned me into a vampire. Not only me, but every person who had been turned by her that night had a special relationship with her.

"Did anyone try to break in?" She asks, her ever-smiling face is now wrinkled with worry.

"Thankfully, no. But I do not want to take any chances. Do you have enough vervain for six people?"

When we had learnt that being a vampire herself, she encouraged the growth of a substance that protected one from vampires, at her place, we were shocked too. But that's when we understood that Poornima Solanki could never be equated with harm but only peace and protection. In all the years of being a vampire, except for the five people she had turned on 18th November, 2019, she had killed none.

Mumbai had always been filled with curious inhabitants who loved to investigate. Yet no one knew that a tormented yet kind soul had slipped vervain into most of their houses. The only time when Poornima had been challenged by another vampire was three years ago.

"Of course I do, honey. Do you want it in jwellery?"

"Yes. Is it possible to have three rings, two bracelets and one necklace, Ma?" Her face broke into a smile I loved to see.

In a way she had given me a new life. And immortality. But with it, all her love, a space to occasionally crash in. And abundant guidance about vampirism. Initially, I hated her for doing this to me. Frozen in my 20s, I would have to forever live by lying to those around me and find a way to slip out of cricket's limelight, a couple of decades later. But my perception of her changed when she told me that the man she had loved to her bits had been killed that night.

Love has the power to make the gentlest, rage into vengeful beings. And for that one night, Poornima became what she never wanted to. A killer.

"It is certainly possible, baccha. But you've got to tell me if the necklace is for her?"

"Well it is. But it's on her, she can choose anything else from the other five too."

"Did you get a chance to look for the birthmark on her shoulder?" She asks me as she dips the amethysts in vervain.

I sigh. Not allowing myself to dwell upon her theories I shake my head.

"Ma, please you know how I feel about all of this."

"I know, I know, you're not a believer but don't you feel like doing it for your old woman's sake?"

"I would do anything else for you, Ma. But not this, please."

"Alright. You Punjabis can be quite stubborn when you want to."

"We have got no option but to be stubborn because you Gujaratis can be quite persuasive when you want to."

She chuckles at the remark.

"I've missed you Shubh. We all have. Aise hi aate rehna." She hands me the jwellery in a vintage box.

"Haa, Ma. Abhi ke liye chalta hoon. Sabko meri yaad Dena." I get up to give her a hug.

As soon as I am out of her house, I vamp my way to Sara's appartment. The best thing about being a vampire? The speed, for sure.

I leave a note with the jwellery box. When she wakes up tomorrow, she will see a courier with her address and gifts from me for the Tendulkars and the Aroras, from Bangalore. And then Kavya will be safe.

I turn to leave before leaving I decide to check up on Kavya.

Her rhythmic breathing tells me that she's sleeping soundly. I thank Waheguru for protecting her. My hand reaches out to stroke her cheek. Waves of protectiveness erupt in body.

I will not let anyone harm you.