Chapter 1-Wilderness Survival For the Short of Luck

Start from the beginning

Somehow

Had you died? Was this a dream? It felt too real, the chill of the breeze, the unfortunate stinging of your face. Cold air filled your lungs with each breath.

You pinched your arm, and felt a small, sharp pain in response.

You remember reading somewhere that it is unusual to have, and to be able to count all of your fingers in a dream.

You looked down.

A perfect set of ten. Five on each hand. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Looking upwards, you took in the landscape once more. Trees stretched in all directions as far as you could. Leaves rustled as another breeze cut through the air.

"Thi-this is really happening."

By some absurd circumstances, you seem to have ended up fully cognizant in a video game. Or, was it
the anime version? The specifics weren't important now.

"Really living out a childhood dream here, huh."

Though any small excitement you felt was soon washed away, as two critical realizations came to you.

Your whole world is gone. Uneventful and boring your life was, but that was something you still put, well, your lifetime into. What would your family think when they realized you were no longer around?

Also, god knows where you were relative to civilization. You could be dozens of miles away from the nearest town or city. One hungry and/or powerful Pokémon, and your little adventure would be cut drastically short. Testing your luck against mythical monsters with magical powers seemed like a sure-fire to meet Arceus.

At least this forest was nice. I mean, relatively speaking, you could have ended up in the Giant Chasm, or on Mount Lanakila.

Or hell, the dreary wasteland that was the Orre region.

But, these contemplations had to wait. You needed food, and shelter, preferably both. All you had were your nightclothes, and-

"Damn is it cold."

"I need to go." When lost in the wilderness, common sense dictates you stay in one place so rescuers can find you easier. However, nobody knew you were lost.

No help was coming.

The barren trees would provide you little protection from the wind. So, you decided to do the next best thing. Pick a direction and start walking.

...

You currently stared at what might be one of the steepest cliff slides known to man. Hours of walking had led you nowhere, and the temperature was only dropping.

"Are you kidding me?" You stood no shot at getting out of this forest any time soon. Guess finding food and shelter was your next best option for now. Your feet were killing you. Note to self, traversing the wilds without any form of footwear was not a recipe for success. Night was approaching, and the cries of unknown Pokémon had begun drifting through the trees.

Dejected, you marched along the cliff side, hoping to find a marked trail or something along those lines. All the while, looking for a berry bush, or some rock you could curl under. And fortunately, you were in luck. Stomach growling, you moved to a bush adorned with familiar peach colored, heart shaped berries. The pecha berry was supposed to cure poison, so eating the fruit seemed like a safe bet. Taking a bite, you were surprised by the flavor. It was like a very ripe peach, though possibly even sweeter. You finished off the berry, then pulled off another.

Finally, things were looking up.

Of course, it could never be that easy.

A faint rumbling sounded in the distance, and you could have sworn the ground trembled.