Narrative Writing Essay

Prompt: Mind Reading
Grade: 100

As I opened the bakery door I was immediately greeted with the familiar smell of freshly baked bread and the sound of the soft elevator music playing in the background.
"Hey Karter! How are you today?" the man behind the counter yelled to me, his thick Brooklyn accent booming around the small area.
"Oh! Hi John, I'm doing pretty well." John is the man behind the counter, and the owner of the bakery!
"Here! I've got something I'd like you to try." as soon as he said that, he ducked down and grabbed something from under the counter. It was a loaf of bread.
"You're trying a new recipe?" I asked as I waltzed over to the counter.
"Pretty much." he ushered the bread into my hand, eagerly waiting for me to take a bite. I took a bite out of the bread, it tasted amazing.
"It tastes great John!" I exclaimed, giving him an affirming thumbs up.
"I'm glad you like it! Now what do you want to eat?" he asked, the rest of our conversation turning into one fuzzy blur. After I left the bakery (aka. Bredmuhn's, named after John's family.) I was walking down the street back to my house, when suddenly I felt dizzy. My head was pounding, it felt like someone had dropped a 20-pound weight on my skull. Before I could even comprehend what had just happened, I could barely think anymore. Everyone's thoughts were rushing into my head. All the people walking down the street stared as I ran past them, trying to get back to my house as soon as I could.
   I rushed into my house, the memory of everyone's thoughts overwhelming me. I flopped onto my bed and tried to think to myself. Who could have done this? Why me? What did I do earlier... John? John! John was the one who did this to me. I hopped off my bed and grabbed a pair of headphones to muffle the noises. I quickly sped out of my house and back to the bakery. But, when I got there, it looked to be closed. The bakery never closes early. John must've known that I would find out. I slammed the door open, this time the bakery smelt like smoke. I sped through the bakery looking for any sign of John. It had felt like I had looked everywhere, until I found a trap door hidden behind the counter. I opened the trap door and climbed down the ladder. Once I was down there, I turned around to find a laboratory full of scientific supplies, and in the center of it all, was John. He looked petrified, like a stranger had just broken into his home.
"Oh! Why... hello there... Karter!" he stuttered nervously. All the while he was speaking, I could hear him in his thoughts panicking.
"I know what you did John! It's even more obvious with this... secret laboratory you have here!" I confronted him; he shook a bit. I was confused as to why he was scared; it was obvious he had more power in the situation.
"I'm sorry! I just needed someone to... well... test on." he admitted, sighing.
"I don't want to be your little lab rat!" I stepped towards him, causing him to back up. I continued to walk forward, eventually bringing him to the wall. I swung my fist at him, and it hit him right in the face. He held his face, his nose bleeding a bit.
"I said I was sorry!" he yelled in agony. He took his hand off his face and shoved me to the ground. The next thing I knew, it was all black.
I woke up, instead of black, everything was white. As my vision came back, I could almost make out the figures of around five people sitting around me. I blinked and my vision cleared. I was surrounded by my family, and John.
"John, you-!" before I could finish my sentence, I saw the look of confusion on his face. The more I stared at him the sooner I realized that I couldn't hear what he was thinking. It was over, it was over as soon as it started. Maybe it was all just a figment of my imagination? Of course, I'll never know that for sure. For now, I hope things just go back to normal