Chapter Twenty-One : Separated

Start from the beginning

Diana eyed the commander from the corner of her eyes, knowing damn well that every word that came out of her mouth was a lie. But she was glad. Who knows what could've happened to Levi if Hange hadn't lied.

"I know how to take a pulse," Floch said suddenly, "Let me see him."

Hange frowns at the ginger, their grip on Levi's head tightening as his heart raced to find a way out of this. They needed to take Levi somewhere far away, where they could attend to his wounds. They know, that if they handed the captain to Floch, he would have him shot to the head instantly.

"Floch! Something's strange about that titan!"

Hange lets out a breath they didn't know they were holding in, relieved as Floch's attention shifted towards his comrade.

Good, now he could think of something while they're distr—

Hange's eyes widen at the sight in front of him. Is that titan...? How???

"Is it disappearing? ...Did it die?!"

"No..." Hange answered breathlessly, still couldn't believe what he's seeing right now. "They don't normally suck steam into themselves when they disappear..."

As they all continued to observe the titan, guns pointed at it in case of sudden movement, another unexpected event unfolds itself.

Is that... Zeke?

A small part of Hange wanted to drop everything and make a run towards that intriguing titan, to put their hands all over its body and to inspect it from up close. How is Zeke crawling out of that body alive and unscathed? Why is the steam sucked into the titans body instead of disintegrating into the air like it normally does? Hange never had this many questions before,

But they had more important matters to attend to.

Hange shifts his glance back towards the stunned Diana, eyes finding each other as their brains connected with one single look.

Diana knows what she was about to do. She had been plotting it ever since that damned Jaegerist pointed the gun at Levi. She was ready to do this since their attentions shifted towards the titan.

But she also knows that by doing this, there's a high chance that she will never see these two ever again. Her heart ached at the thought of separating with the two people she cared about the most, especially with how she left things with Levi. But she understands that his recovery is the top priority at the moment.

Clenching her jaw, Diana exchanged a short nod with Hange before they jumped into the river next to them, holding Levi close into their arms.

"Huh?!"

"Get em!"

"Stay on their tails!"

"Wait!" Diana holds her arms up in the air, halting the movements of the Jaegerists threatening to hunt her two friends down.

"You son of a bitch..." Floch glares at the woman, making his way towards before grabbing the collar of her shirt. "This was all you, wasn't it?! You let them go, didn't you?!"

"Yes, but hear me out," the blonde swallowed, staring back into the narrowed brown eyes of his. "If you let them go, I promise I'll follow you guys. I won't act out. I will do whatever you tell me to and aid you with anything."

Floch stays unbudged, his lips pressed into a thin line as he clenches his jaw.

"Please," Diana continued, "It's better to have a powerful vessel in your hands, than a dead man, isn't it?"

Frowning, the ginger pushes the woman away with a defeated groan.

"Fine," he spits out, "But if you ever pull something funny, I will shoot you. No negotiations."