CHAIN OF THORNS - CASSANDRA CLARE

Disclaimer : The lines that follow these are simply  my own opinions which don't intend to defame or hurt the author. Everyone have their own opinions, and these are mine. No hate please :)

If you have any requests, do drop in a comment!

PS : Spoiler alert.

18 months.

That's how long I was waiting for Chain of Thorns.

18 excruciatingly long months.

Having just finished reading another book I had been waiting for a long time, I was quite tentative as I began reading Chain of Thorns.

Needless to say, Cassandra Clare surpassed my expectations.

Every open link was closed, every explanation we waited for was given, and most importantly, we got to know who Cordelia ended up with at last.

I had always hoped that Cordelia would end up with Matthew, and to my surprise, my usual feelings of indignance and rage when I found out my favourite character was coupled with a person I didn't exactly like, didn't surface.

I have been disappointed with Cassandra Clare's 'It' couples many times, but in this book, I felt the overall way she moved while taking characters' relations to the next level was much better than in the Infernal Devices series.

The book ticked all my categories of adventure and romance and plot lines, but one part alone made me feel a bit... meh.

Belial crowning himself as the King of London.

This is, infact the second time I've had this sort of feeling - the other being when Emma and Julian turned into giants towards the end of the Dark Artifices.

Why would one of the Nine Princes of Hell, with powers nearly equal to that of an angel want to crown himself King of a mortal realm? 

Especially when he had Lilith's extra huge Edom in his control?

Sometimes I feel that even an extremely creative and amazing author such as Clare runs out of ideas at times, because this particular segment may have had me rolling my eyes and think 'That's kind of stupid'.

And I'm the kind of person who can read books for eight hours in a stretch (no kidding) without moving an inch, enthralled with the story.

Another aspect of this book which I was disappointed in, was the portrayal of the LGBTQ+ community. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the community, but I thought Cassandra Clare can include more LGBTQ+ characters than just those who are the children of those in Power. 

Every one of her series are like that - Aline and Alec in The Mortal Instruments (daughter and son of the Councillor and Inquisitor respectively), the Blackthorn family (almost every one in the family is not the definition of what society expects - one lesbian, one with two partners, one who fell in love with his parabatai, one autistic kid, and one on the slightly heftier side), Charles and Matthew Fairchild and Ari Bridgestock (children of the Councillor and Inquisitor respectively).

Leaving that aside, let's move to the portrayal of the characters - there's quite a bit of development of character in Grace, Lucie and Cordelia, and I thought that was quite nice, despite the intricate weaving of the plot.

Not much of Charlotte Fairchild, Will and Tessa Herondale and the Lightwoods are seen, and I do wish they were represented a bit better in the book.

And speaking about the Lightwoods...

It absolutely broke my heart when Christopher died.

(I don't understand why Cassandra Clare has to kill a good character in every one of her stories)

Despite not exactly being the one who stole the limelight, his presence was something which we were used to. Something that provided comedy at times. 

Kit and Grace's relationship was blooming, and I was really really rooting for them.

But what surprised me, was that there were no scenes where Christopher's family mourned him - nothing. 

He died.

That's it.

I read the pages thrice to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but... nothing.

The book was long, yes, and I understand that the author may have had to cut out a few scenes, but I did feel that Christopher's death was something that could have been expanded a bit more.

Cassandra Clare had mentioned a few things that would be mentioned in the book before it was released - the name of the Blackthorn Sword, the reason why Lucie flinched while practicing the parabatai ceremony, etc.

But they didn't exactly pique my interest or have the impact I hoped it would have. 

It didn't change the course of the story like I'd expected.

Perhaps I do have a lot of high expectations and have a tendency to always wish for more.

And I'm sure that many of you who are reading this are also a lot like that.

But I'm sure once you've read The Chain of Thorns, you'd agree with me.

It's worth it.

Totally worth it.

Hi guys!

Hope you liked it.

I'm planning on reviewing a book I read on wattpad - let me know if you want that or another book an author has published.

PS : Those who guess the name of the Blackthorn Sword get to choose the next book I review!