Chapter 3

The capital city of Whiterun Hold sits in the heart of Skyrim amongst rolling plains and hills tucked within the cusp of the land's mountainous heights. Simple wooden and stone palisade walls protect the Nord people from intruders and provide great views of the surrounding lands.

Toward the end of the day, Rayla finds herself inside the Bannered Mare where she collapses onto a bench by the fire. The pub is an old building full of exposed timber columns around the room and a fire pit in the middle. To her right is a bar and all along the room tables and chairs crowd the walls underneath shields, and other weapons on display.

Ma'dran and his caravan set up camp near Whiterun Farm and Rayla entered the city by herself. The warmth of the fire purges all her thoughts and makes her body feel like goo as her legs try to understand why they are not walking anymore.

"This feels so good," Rayla murmurs. She drops her pack on the ground and rolls her shoulders.

"Welcome to the Bannered Mare, let me know if you need anything," the barkeep calls to Rayla.

"Thank you!" Rayla responds.

Rayla settles in and leans forward, holding her hands towards the fire as the soft plucking of a lute strikes up from a corner. The soft notes, whispered into the air, mixed with the warmth lull Rayla into a place of peace. Her eyes grow heavy.

***

Rayla spends her first night at the Bannered Mare and sleeps in the next morning. Later in the day, she sets out through the cobblestone streets between the wooden buildings with low, swooping yellow-tiled roofs. Rayla heads to the eastern side of the city where the Companions guild is located. Her father told her she might find help here. The Companions guild is housed in Jorrvaskr, a building with a roof shaped like the keel of a large boat. A woman stands outside with short hair and a swirling face tattoo on her right cheek.

"Hello stranger, you must be Yann's daughter?"

Rayla drags her feet to a stop.

"How do you know?"

"I can tell you have traveled far. I was told to expect you and you sure look tired."

"Yes?"

"Don't worry, I like to keep an eye on things around here. My name is Ria, your father knows my father. I was told you are on a big adventure? Come inside, I want to hear about it!"

Cheerful, Ria motions for Rayla to follow her and they step into Jorrvaskr. Inside, the building opens up to a large wooden room where Companions are training, and some are sitting around sharing drinks. Ria waves to a few and sits down at a table, ushering Rayla to join her.

"So, tell me, what brings you to Whiterun?"

Rayla sits down and looks at Ria who is leaning on the table with attentively wide eyes.

"Um, I took a boat from Summerset Isles and arrived in Solitude to begin my journey."

"Have you been to Skyrim before?"

"Never. This is the farthest I've ever been from home, and everything is so...different. I traveled with a Khajiit's caravan to reach Whiterun safely and the wilds are so... wild! I don't think I could have made it on my own. There are so many unknowns on these roads. Bandits? Wolves? No one bothered us on our trek here, but I need to set out for Dushnikh Yal in a few days, but I'm not too sure where to go next. My maps show all the roads I need to know but I don't know what the best route is, yet. So far west looks like the fastest way."

Ria sits back, fiddling with a leather brace on her arm. She bites her lip in thought as Rayla talks.

"Why are you going to Dushnikh Yal? That is a tough territory. I wouldn't really recommend it as a vacation spot, if you are sightseeing. Also, there have been dragon sightings at Fort Greymoor, west of here, so you can't go that way. I recommend a more southernly route."