𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 - 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆

| 3 years ago |

"LO'AK! SLOW DOWN, YOU'RE RUNNING TOO FAST!" Young 11 year old A'leyra screamed at her best friend, who was clearly enjoying being chased by her.

"Keep up, Leyra!" Lo'ak jumped through the huge trees, not so skillfully avoiding the sharp edges of the branches, therefore hurting the young child.

Lo'ak let out groans of pain as he watched the blood trickle out of the huge cut on his chest. A'leyra noticed him laying on the forest floor, as she ran towards him, a worried expression written all over her face.

"What did I tell you?" She rolled her eyes at his stupidity.

"Not to run so fast or I'd get injured." Lo'ak reluctantly repeated the words that had been said to him about a trillion times now. He hissed in pain as she applied a small amount of pressure onto his wound.

"Ow! Stop it!" He slapped her hand away from him but was rewarded with another eye roll.

"It's either I clean you up now, and avoid your fathers questions, or we both get into trouble. You choose."

They both got into trouble that night.

Turns out, the pair had lost track of time, coming home way after their curfew. The families had gathered outside their homes, anxiously waiting on their mischievous children's return. The anxiousness lessened as they heard the high pitched giggles echoing throughout the forest in front of them.

Sighing in disappointment, Jake had taken it upon himself to reprimand the children, signalling for everyone to go home, including A'leyra's parents.

"I'll deal with these two tonight."

As everyone left, Jake saw the two slowly emerging from the trees. Putting his worries aside, he let his anger take over instead.

"Where were you two? We were all worried sick! Do you have any idea how long you guys were out?" The words came spewing out of Jake's mouth. Lo'ak and A'leyra looked down in shame, not wanting to cause anymore trouble, they slowly walked away, hand in hand to provide comfort for one another.

Jake's eyes softened at the sight of the two silently comforting each other, but quickly regained his strict demeanor.

"Don't walk away from me." He instructed as the two had no choice but to oblige.

"I'm sorry, sir. This is all my fault. I didn't notic-" Lo'ak was cut off abruptly as his father had something to say, after noticing the huge gash going across this youngest son's chest.

"What the hell happened there?" His piercing eyes not leaving the two of them. A'leyra gulped before answering his question.

"We were playing in the forest and I accidentally cut him with a branch, sir." This was common for the both of them. Lying to get the other one out of trouble, which often led to them both getting in trouble, like what was happening now.

Lo'ak looked at her and raised his eyebrows, indicating not to cover for him. But they were best friends, she wanted to keep him out of trouble, no matter what happens to her. She knew how much Jake's scoldings affected him as he had confided in her whenever he got into trouble, which was many times.

He would never cry when Jake was scolding him, only when the moment had passed, and he was in the comforting arms of his best friend, then he would let himself cry. Crying was a sign of weakness, and he wanted to prove to his father that he was as strong as his older brother, Neteyam. He was always in Neteyam's shadow. Whenever he'd make a mistake, he would be compared with his perfect older brother. 'Neteyam wouldn't make this idiotic mistake!' or 'You should be more like your older brother!' was the most common insults being thrown at Lo'ak almost daily. It was insufferable, but less insufferable with A'leyra.

"Okay, but I want you two to promise that you'll not stay out late, and worry the shit out of us." He paused before debating if he should continue his sentence.

"And no more sneaking out and spending time with each other until I say so. You hear me?" His stern face faltered as he saw their heartbroken expressions. Noticing that Lo'ak was about to protest, he quickly shut him up.

"Yes, sir." They said as they walked away, not realising that they were still holding hands.

"Drop your hands, now, and go back to your homes." Jake cringed at his choice of words, as he watched them reluctantly let go of each other, slowly walking back home with their heads angled towards the ground. He cursed at himself for causing such sadness on the children, but they'd been used to it by now, right? Surely they knew that there would be consequences to their actions.

-

Lo'ak trudged his way to his hammock, silently tearing as he climbed into it. Usually when he cried, he'd go to A'leyra for comfort, but now he didn't even have his best friend's shoulder to cry on.

"Whats wrong, baby bro?" Lo'ak looked to his left, seeing his older brother wide awake, clearly waiting for his return.

"Sorry for making you wait up for me." He looked down at Neteyam, guilt written all over his face.

"Nah, it's all good. As long as you're back" He patted his younger brother, who was clearly very distressed.

"So tell me, what's your punishment this time?" He joked, subtly. When he realised that Lo'ak was crying, however, his tone completely shifted.

"Whoa, why are you crying? What happened?"

"I'm banned from seeing her, Neteyam. I can't even see A'leyra." He sobbed in his brothers arms, as his brother tried his best to console him. He hated that his father was so hard on Lo'ak. Yes, he was a trouble maker, but even when Neteyam would get into trouble, the punishments wouldn't nearly be as bad as Lo'ak's.

-

"A'leyra. You disappoint me, daughter." Her father ended his long scolding as the tears slowly trickled down her face.

She missed Lo'ak. She missed his comfort, his hugs, holding hands with him and being comforted in his arms. It had been less than an hour since the two were separated, and that was the most amount of time the two have been away from each other.

A'leyra couldn't control her tears. It was uncontrollably streaming down her face as she covered it in shame. Sinking down to the floor, she tucked her small figure into a ball and sobbed in the corner. Her mother had noticed this, and grew very concerned for her only daughter.

"My sweet child, what is wrong?" She stroked her daughter's hair lovingly.

"I hate being separated from him." She managed to get out from her trembling lips. Her mother only sighed in response.

"Mom where is the- wait what happened why is she crying?" A'leyra looked up to see her older brother, Ateyo, strutting into the room, unknowingly interrupting a sweet mother-daughter moment.

"Nothing, Teyo. I'm fine." She quickly dismissed her older brother.

Among the many things Lo'ak and her had in common, the one that made them feel the worse was being compared to their perfect, older sibling. Maybe that was why they were so close. They understood each other.

"Let him console you, A'leyra!" Rolling her eyes for the hundredth time that evening, she just accepted her fate.

-

Over the next month, Lo'ak and A'leyra were miserable, often being seen begging to see each other. Their parents finally lifted the ban after a month of constant nagging, and the two have yet to be separated since.

After that, things went back to normal. Everything was back to the way it used to be, until the age of 14, when Spider was introduced to the Sully's.

-

author's note

heres the first chapter! hope you liked it <3

also they only met spider when they were fourteen, instead of growing up with him. just go with it please ty!!

word count: 1.2k