I - Art Class

Russell sighed, rubbing her eyes in the mirror as she looked over her appearance. Her right arm was littered with bruises, along with her face and neck. She wasn't sure how she was meant to hide these all for her first day at Hawkins' High, but if she didn't she knew her dad would only be harsher next time. She put foundation over all the bruises, covering them each until they were perfectly faded over. She then went on with her normal makeup, light gold eyeshadow, winged eyeliner, mascara, blush and lip gloss. The brunette looked in the mirror, her hair fell just at the center of her chest, curly like her mother's but brown like her father's. She was always told her hair was pretty. So it pained her that it only ever reminded her of the man who beat her and the woman who left her. She pulled on a light blue dress, black leggings and a pair of white vans. With the fake smile that she had mastered by the age of eight and her black leather jacket, Russell was ready to go. 

She walked out of her room to the kitchen, smiling at her step-mom who was making coffee. "Good morning, Susan. How are you this morning?"

"Oh, I'm doing just wonderful dear, and you?"

"I'm doing great." Russell turned when she heard the bedroom door across from her own slam shut, her older brother walking out. "Mornin' Billy." She smiled, this time a genuine one.

"Hey, Russ. How'd you sleep?" He asked, patting her on the head as he walked by.

"Fine, considering. You?"

"I slept enough." He smiled at her with a small shrug. 

"Maxine! You're going to be late for school!" Susan yelled out to her daughter. At the notice of her voice and their step-sister's name, Billy's smile immediately dropped, his normal demeanor resurfacing. 

"Come on, hurry up or you don't get a ride to school." The blond snarled as he walked past his younger sister, Russell tilted her head down and bit at her lip. She hated when he acted like that, when he acted like their father.

"Have a great day, Susan." Russell smiled, walking toward the door and picking up her backpack. She met her brother outside, he was leaning against the side of his car with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. She pulled it from him, taking a drag. 

"That's mine, Russ." He chuckled, looking down at the girl who was only a year younger than him. 

She smiled up at him, handing it back. "Sorry Billy." 

Max came out, her skateboard tucked under her arm. Billy sighed, throwing his cigarette against the floor and stepping on in. He threw the door of his car open, sliding in and slamming it shut. "Come on Russ, I don't want you to be late." He shouted out, leaning back in his seat. The girl smiled, walking over to the door that Max had left open when she got into the back. 

"You excited for school Max?" The red headed girl didn't answer, instead she focused on the scenery passing outside. Russell sighed, understanding that she wouldn't be close with the girl for at least a little while. The red head never particularly liked Russell, but that was fine. The brunette decided from day one that she would win the girl's trust.

Billy pulled into a parking spot, stepping out with a cigarette lit in his mouth. Rylie hadn't even noticed him lighting the new one. She got out of the car, holding it open for Max as she climbed out of the backseat. The middle schooler brushed past her older sister, skating over to her school building. Russell sighed, watching as the girl went. "Russ, stop worrying about that little shit."

"Billy." She groaned, gently closing the door to her brother's car. He rolled his eyes, flicking the cigarette ash off the end. He threw the stick onto the ground a bit away from his car, walking off toward the school "Billy!" He turned around, raising a brow at his sister. "Have a good day." She smiled.