"Thank you, for last night. You were amazing. I love you"Her voice so calm as she relaxed into his arms. After a long embrace she repeated the action with Carolyn . "Thank you Mrs Shepherd, you really helped and supported me."Carolyn wiped the small lipgloss mark from Meredith's upper lip.

"You my dear don't need to thank me. Its Carolyn. I must say you look beautiful" Meredith thanked her lightly and returned the compliment in her own words. 

/

"You work here"Fred asked as they walked into the large elevator. Meredith smiled.

"I do, i do. Follow me"She gripped Derek's hand as they reached the floor they needed. Stepping out she felt the familiar feeling of safety and warmth fill her.

"Classy place"Carolyn let out looking at different pieces of art and photos that had been taken.

Meredith was about to speak when an excited voice intercepted.

"My girl" She felt her heart warm, a blood felt warm again. 

"Nat"She breathed out. Natalie was one of Meredith's safe havens. They had been close since they were 4. 

"I have missed you so much. Oh god you look so healthy."Natalie looked at her friend with pure adoration. "They are in the room you requested.  I will come in soon."Natalie licked her lips as she passed Derek. She wasn't sure yet on who the handsome dark haired man who stood by her friend was. 

Meredith led the Derek and his parents to the room, she pushed the door open of course her family sat there. Ellis, Richard, Maggie, Winston , Lexie and Mark.

.Lexie hugged her tightly as did Ellis,  "Mum, Dad. Meet Carolyn and Fred Shepherd, Derek's parents"Meredith introduced. 

"You are the amazing woman who created the girls who made my boys happy"Carolyn pulled Ellis into an instant embrace which she accepted to the shock of many. 

Meredith walked to the camera, looking at it she knew it was hers, from home. Her head felt fuzzy as the voice all melted together. Of course Derek worked with everyone in the room and Carolyn fit right in. No one was focused on her.

No one could see the pain in her eyes. No one could see her hands trembling. 

She looked up to the exit seeing a familiar figure. She walked over slowly. Ignoring her gut.

"I knew you would be here today"His voice wasn't cold like his brothers, his gaze was soft. "I'm sorry" James looked down  "You chose the wrong brother. Both of my brothers are asses. You and I could have been"Meredith looked down hearing the conversation behind her settle.

"Why are you here" she questioned. 

Derek was about to walk towards them when Lexie stopped him.

"Don't. He is the good brother. I always liked James. Why didn't she sleep with him"Lexie let her thoughts out as Maggie hissed at her.

"Lexie... Derek is right there"Maggie pointed out. 

"I know...i am just saying. They would have been cute."Maggie nudged her again.

"Lexie Grey. Respect your sister and her choice of who she chose to sleep with"Ellis folded her arms.

"Well she chose a shitty guy"A statement of which they all agreed with. 

"Does he like her?"Derek asked slightly insecure.

"She is all for you Shepherd. Don't sweat it" Winston chuckled having heard her talk about him for hours. "I will go see what he is doing here"