Chapter 10 The Family

-a few days later-

You sit on your bed scrolling on your new phone. There was practically nothing to do on this thing because there was a firewall in Anima City which blocked you from outside content. You groan and drop your phone to your side. It was so boring inside but outside was so confusing because all of the people and streets and directions. You hear your door start to open.

"Hey, ya mind knocking first." You say annoyed. You hear an annoyed groan. "Fine..." You hear Shirou say from behind the door. He then closes the door again and knocks this time. "Come in!" You say with a slightly smug grin on your face. The wolf walks into your room looking bothered. He was still in the black sweat shirt and sweat pants he usually wears to bed.

"We were unable to get the interrogation..." Shirou announces. Huh? "What? Why?" You asks him being confused. Shirou holds up some papers. "Well, the law says that we can't force a minor  under 14 to be interrogated. Me and city hall tried to get the kid to agree to be asked some questions but they wouldn't agree to speak with us." Shirou says. You groan at the mention of laws. "The law? But, like don't we work for them? Why can't we just... do it?" You say in an annoyed tone.

"Y/N, even if we work for the Anima Cities government we still have to follow the laws. After all they are the only thing keeping this city from falling apart and keeping the law from becoming corrupt." Shirou tells you in a tone that made you feel like he was talking down to you. You cross your arms. "I know Shirou. I'm not dumb... It still is annoying though." You say. He looks down at you. "You should probably get outside and go on a walk or something."

Next thing you know he grabs you by the collar of your shirt. "In fact I'm bringing you with me." Huh!? Wait do you not get a choice in this!? He swiftly picks you up by your shirt with one arm and hoists you over his shoulder with his other. "Hey! You know I can walk myself!" You say slightly annoyed. You swore you could hear Shirou chuckle under his breath. "Well, I know you won't get up on your own." He says. He carries you out of the closet and into his room. "Hold on, I've still got to get dressed." Shirou says. He sets you down. " Wait, did you not realize you were still in pajamas?" You say with a slight chuckle. Surprisingly his reaction wasn't some type of groan or an eye roll but instead the color of his face turned slightly pink. Was he blushing?

"Just stay here while I change." He says. He walks off into a different part of his room. He was out of sight and he walked up the stairs. Looking around the room you realized it was more of an office than a bedroom.  You jump as you hear a squawk sound behind you. Huh? You look back seeing a small black bird sitting on the table behind you. You crouch down to it. "Oh hello there little guy. How'd you get into here?" You ask the bird. It only responds with an "Aahck!" sound. I mean its only a bird after all.

It looks at you while slightly tilting its head. You smile and reach out your hand lightly petting its head. The bird seemed to enjoy it and as it pushes its head into your hand almost like a cat. You hear footsteps behind you. "I'm back" You hear Shirou say. He walks up behind you. "Oh, I see you've met Kuro." He says. You look back at Shirou. "Oh? You mean this little guy?" You say as gentle pet the birds neck with your finger.

"Yeah, that's Kuro. I'm his caretaker." Shirou says. Kuro looks up at Shirou before flying to him and perching on his shoulder. Shirou looks at him and lightly strokes under Kuro's chin. "I'm ready to go."  He says. You nod. "Okay, let's go then." You say.

You two walk out the door and start heading down the street. "So Shirou, where are we going?" You ask him. "Just some patrolling, after all with this terrorist group going around, we've gotta be on the look out. Plus it's not like that group is my only worry at the moment." Shirou says. Huh? What does he mean by that? You continue to follow Shirou as you two walk about Anima City.

As you two pass by an ally way something catches your attention. Two men in suits seemed to be cornering a guy. "N-no please... I swear I won't mess up next time." The man begs. The guy was bleeding all over. His body was coated in bruises and burns. Oh crap! Is he okay!? "You've already had 3 chances, we won't be giving you another..." One of the suited men remarks at him. He pulls what looks like a pistol from his pocket.  Oh shoot! You've gotta do something! You look around for Shirou but he seems to have already walked off without you. 

"Hey back off him!" You shout without thought. The two suited men look towards you. You can see a dolphin pin on both of their suits. "Oh? We've got a hero now? Do we." One of them growls. He transforms into his beastman form revealing himself as a bear beastman. The other one transforms into a hawk. The hawk beastman also pulls out his gun and looks back at the beat up injured man. "Now you stay right here while we take care of the little puppy." He stomps hard on the man's leg causing a crunch sound. 

You stand there sweating nervously. What have I gotten myself into!? They start approaching you causing you to step back. "H-hey, I- uh-" You stutter. "Aw what's wrong? Scared already?" The bear beastman asks you in a condescending tone. Your fight or flight instinct was going off. You clench your fists and take a breath. You charge at them with a yell. "pfft... idiot." The hawk says pointing his gun at you. Just as he's about to pull the trigger Shirou drops down from one of the buildings and drops down onto the guy with a kick to his back. The guy lets out a pained gasp as he's sent flying forward from the kick.

The bear guy looks at Shirou with an expression of pure shock. He quickly points the gun at Shirou but the wolf is already behind him in the blink of an eye. Shirou punches him from the back sending him flying into the brick wall off the surrounding building. Both of the men already seemed to be knocked out in just two hits. You were in absolute shock and surprise. How did he get up there!? And how did he find out you were in trouble.

The wolf beastman looks to the beaten and bloodied guy sitting at the end of the alleyway. He crouches down to them. "Please hang on sir. I've already called an ambulance." Shirou tells him. The man coughs spraying a bit of blood. "T-thank you." He says in a weak voice. Shirou's gaze then turns towards you. He looks at you with an expression of annoyance. "I-I'm sorry Shirou." You apologize looking down. But, then you hear him... chuckle? "Jeez, you're such a handful. I can't leave you alone for three minutes without you almost getting yourself killed." He remarks. "Damn, do I have to get you a dog collar just so you don't take off?" He says jokingly. Huh? It's kind of weird to hear someone as serious as Shirou chuckle and joke.

After the ambulance arrives you and Shirou stand outside the alley way as the ambulance carries the man into the back of the vehicle. "So Shirou, who were those guys?" You ask him. Shirou looks at you. "Those beastmen were a part of The Family. They're a large gang here in Anima City. If you value your life, you'll stay away from them." Shirou says somewhat with a hint of actual concern. Aw, does he actually care about you? The police soon arrived shortly after to arrest the two gang members.

to be continued...

(A/N: Hey guys sorry for the long wait. I kind of got scared to update this. I didn't want to disappoint people since this is one of my first fanfics that doesn't follow a story line from the source material so I'm really nervous. I'm planning on continuing to update this story.)