Better in the Dark (Chapter 11)

Start from the beginning

Which is everything Hunter cannot stand. Willow and Gus eyed her and started to whisper with Luz, while Hunter groaned, scooting away slightly. "Hi, Boshca." 

She began talking about her day, all while either scooting closer, leaning in, or placing a hand on his arm. 

What was maybe two minutes felt like hours to Hunter as he listened to her voice drone on about the latest Rucchi magazine or her moms' business. 

He groaned and I suppose Amity noticed his distress. She got up and walked over, resting her knee on the seat. 

"Hey, Boscha. We're about to start talking about... you know." She winked. "We didn't want you to miss our boy talk so I thought I'd come grab you." 

(A/N Amity is a lesbian in this story, but as Little Miss Perfect, she is not out whatsoever and pretends to like guys.)

Boscha squealed and waved at Hunter, before leaving the table. Hunter smiled at Amity who then mouthed "You owe me." He laughed lightly and nodded. 

Shortly thereafter, Edric walked in, sliding into the seat next to Hunter.  He smiled; his eyes still half closed. He started to eat the flavorless egg and mostly burnt toast. 

Hunter smiled back softly, noticing how strangely wonderful it was to watch him eat. 

He looked away quickly as Willow noticed him looking, raising an eyebrow.  

Edric finished eating and nodded at Hunter, their little sign to show that they were ready to start the day. 

They were planning to do the first of the bi-annual bonfires. Which, of course, Edric had planned a surprise just for him. 

Hunter stood and walked to the front of the cafeteria and waited for campers' silence.

"Okay campers! Tonight, we'll be holding a bonfire, and we are entrusting you to get some wood for tonight. Get some good wood, since there won't be another bonfire until the end of the summer!" He clapped his hands together. "Alright, when you're ready, discard your trays and get a move-on!"

Campers stood and got rid of their trays, typically in friend groups. 

Each camper got rid of their plates and silverware until just Edric and Hunter were left in the mess hall while Edric finished his meal. 

Hunter slid into the seat next to him again and gently folded his hands on the table. The pair sat in awkward silence for a moment before Edric broke it.

"Are we really...?"

"Yeah, I think so. Why?" Hunter turned to him, wondering if Edric regretted it.

"It's just crazy. I mean, you're a guy, a really cool guy and I'm just me. I don't know, it just feels like you could do so much better."

Hunter stopped for a moment. Could he do better? He could, couldn't he? 

Really, what was stopping him from dumping Edric right here? 

And that was just it. Nothing really stood in between him and being able to date other people, he knew he was considered attractive. 

And yet, he felt like that wasn't a true option. Hunter, even he hadn't realized it, loved Edric because he was Edric, not because he was some dream boat guy who could sweep him off his feet. 

No, no. It was the imperfect. awkward, bumbling, and incredibly weird Edric that as all he needed and truly wanted.  

"Did you think I wanted something better than the one and only Edric Blight?"

"Well, I mean, I have a twin?"

Hunter rolled his eyes and placed his hands on Edric's head before kissing him. 

Edric returned the gesture, wrapping his arms around Hunter's waist. Hunter shivered slightly at the touch, causing Edric to loosen a bit. 

The two broke off from the kiss, Edric's glasses a bit crooked on his face. Though, no longer kissing, they were still embraced by each other, Edric's hands around Hunter's waist and Hunter's hands playing with his hair. "Does that answer your question well enough, Blight?"

"Well, I mean, the answer is implied there, so I think so." 

Hunter sighed and giggled, standing up. He offered out a hand and Edric took it, smiling at him with a shy appreciation. They started to walk out until Kikimora yelled at them from the kitchen. 

"PUT UP YOUR TRAY YOU HEATHENS!"

Edric quickly got rid of it and apologized while Kiki grumbled. Hunter laughed and they began to get ready for the bonfire night.

1295 words.