This was why you saw Mariette more often than you preferred, and each time without fail, she glared at you every chance she got. You didn't understand why; she had been the one that spilt coffee over you that day and therefore ruining the potential of creating some sort of friendship.

"No thanks." You turned your eyes back to your phone, hoping that she would just leave. To your pleasant surprise, she did, not wanting to be near you just as much as you didn't want to share the same space with her.

You raised an eyebrow when you read Jed's text a second time, and then went on to reply.

You: “what, because I threw away one page?”

The answer came not even two minutes later.

J: “what has that paper done to you? Cut your finger? That is one horrendous crime.”

You hated how your heart thumped pleasantly and how you couldn't help the smile pulling on your face. Despite that, you felt stalked, and you did another check of the bistro to make sure you hadn't just looked over him somehow.

Sure enough, there, sitting near the counter and hidden behind the Roseville Gazette, was Jed himself. You couldn't see much of his face from where you were sitting, but you did catch a glimpse of the side of his mouth ticked up into a small smile, like he could feel your stare on him.

Rolling your eyes, you were about to close the tab showing a picture of the infamous Ghost mask on your computer, until your cell buzzed again, stopping you from doing so.

J: “writers block?”

You pulled your lips to the side, thinking. It wasn't really any of his business, especially when you were writing in a diary: a book specifically designed to write down your most personal thoughts for no one else to see. Not to mention the topic you had been writing about.

You: “oh no. I was just writing about nun."

You alternated between grinning smugly at what you had typed, and watching Jed's arm reach for his cell before replying.

J: “nun?”

You: ”nunofyabusiness”

However childish it was, you gave yourself a mental pat on the back and made quick work of packing up your laptop before throwing a five dollar bill on the table.

As you opened the glass doors to exit the bistro and put one foot outside, you could feel a pair of eyes on you the entire time.

*~*~*

The muggy air moving through the crack of a barely open window left a thin layer of moisture over most of your body. It had taken you half an hour under the shower to finally feel clean.

With a dark, blue bath towel fastened around your torso, you made your way across the hallway, your damp feet making smacking noises and leaving an outline of footprints in your wake.

Once in your bedroom, you pulled on (F/C) shorts and a soft hoodie, keeping a second towel wrapped around your head. You felt refreshed, humming a quiet tune to yourself as you wormed your way into the pants you'd been wearing earlier. The next stop was the living room, where you sat down with more grace than you usually would.