"That is insane, y/n. I'm glad you're okay." Arai said as he took everyones plates and brought them to the sink.

"Seriously! You should rest a lot today." Kobeni added.

You nodded, playing with the ends of your hair. "I will. I just have to pick up my car from the shop, they texted me that it was done this morning."

Kobeni nodded in understanding and then awkwardly fidgeted with her hands. "Do you care if Arai and I hang out here for a bit? We can stay in my roo-".

"Not at all! I don't want to intrude. I'll get dressed and head out." You said quickly, getting up and putting the dishes in the dishwasher before heading into your room.

You changed into a pair of jeans with a long sleeve shirt and grabbed a scarf and knit hat from the hall closet, taking your winter coat out of the dryer when you found Aki's sweatshirt. He must've forgotten it when he was leaving this morning. You folded it and went to put it in your room, but it was so soft and still had a faint smell of his cologne. You decided to put it on and smiled a bit to yourself as you felt the soft fabric hug you and his scent fill your nose.

You checked your phone for the first time since texting him and were surprised to see a few messages from him.

Aki -

Hey you
How are you feeling?
Sorry I had to run out this morning

Y/N -

I feel okay just kinda tired
It's fineee don't worry about it

Aki -

I'll make it up to you

Butterflies swirled in your stomach when you read his last text, biting your lip to suppress a smile as you zipped up your coat.

"I'll be back in a little bit, see you guys later!" You called out to Kobeni as you left. The car shop was only five blocks away thankfully, it was a small local garage that Kobeni's dad always used and trusted. As you stood in the elevator you put your AirPods in and put spotify on shuffle, 'Emergency Contact' by PTV  playing as you texted Aki back.

Y/N -

So how's work?

Aki -

It was a stupid problem I had to dispose of
I'm on my way home
What're you doing rn?

Y/N-

Walking to the garage to get my car 🥲
It's not that far tbh just a few blocks

Aki -

Y/n. It's freezing out.

Is it the garage on the corner of Canal St?

Y/N -

It's not thatttt bad (it is)

Yessir

You waited a moment for him to respond but when he didn't, you shrugged and tucked your phone into your pocket. You were outside of your building and standing at a crosswalk waiting for the walking symbol and watching the cars as they drove past. The city workers did a good job of clearing the sidewalks of snow overnight and you sunk into your winter coat as the cold air whipped at your face, the salt on the sidewalk crunching under your boots as you walked.