Chapter Twenty - Peter

Okay, this is it, last chapter and it is dedicated to anyone who has made it this far, well done you, much appreciation. I hope you have enjoyed it, please vote, comment, follow. If you haven't shared your opinion, now is your time kiddo.

Rarely say kiddo, just thought I'd tell you that.

S'pose this is goodbye...

Maybe...

Sorry...

Please read...

<3

***

The nursery is flooded with the warm morning sun and I can hear Miss Dock preparing Father's breakfast downstairs. I don't feel as refreshed as I usually do, and there is something on my mind that I cannot seem to grasp...

Not to worry.

Mother runs into my room, still in her night gown. She looks realived, yet a little flustered. "My dear girl! Where have you been?!" She pulls me into her bosom and holds me in a tight embrace.

"What are you talking about, Mother?" I ask, my voice slightly muffled. "I haven't been anywhere!" What is she talking about?

She pulls away and straightens out her gown. "Yes... Oh, well... Best get dressed, my dear, your Father and I have someone we would like you to meet!" And she flounces out of the room.

How terribly brief.

I make my way to the bathroom. A full bath is all ready and waiting for me. I strip off and lower my body into the thick bubbles and scents.

What's this?

There's a tight, silk, maroon belt across my hips. I wiggle and the warm water loosens it and it slips right off. How incredibly curious.

I wring out my hair and wrap a towel around myself before making my way back to my room. Orange light shines through the window and Miss Dock is making my bed.

I dry off and she tightens my corset.

"You've got a big day, today miss." She says. I hold the bed-post as she ties the corset.

"Can you tell me what is happening?" I demand. I should, she works for me.

"You're parents have arranged a gentleman for you to marry. I personally think you are independent enough to choose a fella yourself, miss." She tightens it one too tight.

"Who are you to choose what I do?!" I snap. "I will marry him. It shall make my parents proud."

We stay silent as she helps me with my many skirts. She then pulls the dress over my head.

It's a pale yellow, a colour I recognise from... Somewhere. It has short, puffy sleeves and elegant lace embellishments. I slip on a pair of lace gloves and light yellow slippers and Miss Dock ties a ribbon in my hair.

I meet Mother and Father in the hallway.

"He's just in the drawing room." Father states. He isn't one for many words.

Mother looks terribly over-excited. "Normally, we'd have you meet him on your wedding day, but we decided to give you a year to get to know one another! Good luck, Matilda!"

"That's not my-" but she closes me in the drawing room.

What is my name?

I turn around. Standing in the centre of the room, his hands held behind his back, is the most neat and tidy gentleman of the same age as me. He wears a waist coat and plain white shirt with a tweed blazer. His blonde hair is greased back and his pale skin is clear and clean.