Chapter Three - The Wedding Dress

I run back into the bathroom and lean over the toilet to bring up my breakfast, but nothing comes. Bethany pulls me into a tight hug, my face consumed by her thick hair.  

"Let me clean the privy, needed doing anyway." She lets go. I turn around to see the small pile of vomit on the seat.  

"I'm so sorry, Bethany! I haven't been fair to you at all, here let me help you." My hands shake as I try to clean up the vomit, but the shaking takes over my entire body and I start to cry under the sink. I am nothing but a pathetic little girl who falls for eager men. Stop it, I tell myself, Aiden is a good, honest man.  

Bethany wraps a protective arm around me. "Come on. Be brave." I stand up and wipe my eyes. I leave the bathroom and pull on the dress and my boots.  

I don't like it one bit. And I realise I hated the other dresses as well. They weren't made for me, they were made for a beautiful women who loved wearing corsets and drinking strong tea. I am not her.  

It is a tight satin gown that wraps under my arms, no patterns or embellishes. It has a netting neckline that travels half way up my neck and finishes in a tight ring of lace. The netting continues down each arm and finish with lace cuffs.  

I sit on the lounger for a while. I don't feel like going to meet my fiancé on the deck, but I suppose I should... 

Aiden is waiting on the there for me. As I see him, I realise I do have feelings for him, I'm just not ready to marry him yet.  

"My lady!" He shouts in glee. "Go back inside, I have something I'm sure you'd like to hear!" He takes me by the wrist and back into his quarters.  

He sets me on the lounger and kneels before me. "My lady, I am afraid I must leave you for a few days, but I am glad you have accepted my marriage proposal." He indicates to the dress before leaning in closer to me. "You won't regret it..." Aiden pulls me in and wraps a hand around the back of my neck, forcing my lips to his. My eyes are wide open and I hate it, so I try to pull away but his grip is too strong. He realises I am not enjoying this and immediately releases me. He looks at me quizzically before getting off his knees and standing up straight.  

"I am going away for a few days to hunt for the Strange One, do not fear, I shall be home soon." He swings his cutlass into his belt. "Then we shall wed." Aiden takes my hand and pulls me to stand up. "Remember why you are here, my lady," He whispers into my ear. Fear floods my body. "And as husband and wife, well, what kind of relationship is based on secrets?" He kisses my hand and takes to the door. "Oh, and, my lady?" 

"Hmm?" I manage to say through all the layers of fear closing around me.  

"Don't try and escape otherwise I shall take away something more... Valuable than your freedom. So long." 

My hand travels to my throat and I hear a faint click as he locks me in his quarters. I realise he never loved me. I am nothing but a girl who he thinks knows about the strange one. I remember he has never asked me my name. I hate this. I want to go home.  

And for once, 

I am afraid