Chapter Seven - Where the Fairies live

This chapter is dedicated to my friend for letting me annoy her and her putting up with it :D sorry for the delay but half got deleted so I didn't write for a while out of annoyance :S please comment!!! xxxxx

I too eventually drift off into a dreamless sleep. 

When I wake, I see Peter has disappeared. He is a strange boy, I don't know if I should trust him. I start to climb down from the tree, I need to rescue Bethany.

"What have you done, Wendy?!" Peter cries as I'm about to jump down from the tree. He is standing in the middle of the clearing, a faint violet light glowing in his palms.

"What'a wrong?" I scurry over to him, and that's when I notice the bandage-dress on his shoulder has a giant green patch on it. The wound must be infected. "Oh Peter!" I reach for his wound.

"Forget about that!" He flinches away from me, his eyes full of tears. "Look!"

I see what he holds in his hands. It is a very very small woman with violet skin and a petal skirt. She looks incredibly ill. 

"Do you believe in fairies?" He whispers. 

"No, don't be ridiculous..."

And her little violet light goes out. 

"Every time someone says that, one dies! Be careful what you say in Neverland!" Peter drops to his knees and digs a tiny hole, then wraps her fragile dead body in leaves before putting her in the hole and filling it in.

'Come on." And he walks off into the dense forest. I run up to him so we can walk together, but his steps are faster and longer than mine, so I struggle to keep up.

"Sometimes, people like you, have to see to believe." His voice is solid and certain. 

We walk through the forest for about a half hour, until we reach the most beautiful place I have ever seen...

Daisies of every colour climb to the same height of my knees, and flying between them are hundreds upon hundreds of fairies, each one their own shade of the rainbow. I am mesmerised. 

"Follow me." Peter says "and take care where you tred."

We make our way through the emerald grass towards a particually large daisy. On it stand four little people, the tallest the same height as my little finger. 

Peter crouches down and picks up the largest, who begins to speak in his ear. He is a brilliant gold, every part of him. He has a bare torso and a small beard (which would have been grey if he wasn't so gold!). "This is the King, Matilda. He says he would like to introduce you to his family."

So I nod to him and look at his family. He has two daughters. The first is a powdery blue with a daisy-petal skirt and the humblest smile you have ever seen. "That's Katie," Peter whispers in my ear, then explains we have to whisper here, as we mustn't burst their ear drums.

The next daughter is a pale yellow colour with a side fringe and a long plait that comes over her shoulder. She is slightly taller than Katie, but not less beautiful. Peter introduces her as Jordina. 

The last fairy is the little king's wife. She is an incredible firey red colour, with stern features, and someone who I would never cross in this lifetime, but there is a certain sadness behind her eyes that reminds me somewhat of my own mother...

Peter once more hold's the little king up to his ear. "He says, he would be delighted if we would stay the night in his hospitality." Then a little more quietly, he says; "Never reject a fairies offer... small, but incredibly dangerous... well, annoying..." 

I nod at Peter and smile to the King, to confirm our acceptance. He makes a bow to me as Peter sets him back down on the daisy. We decide to walk and have a look around.

"This is barbaric!" I whisper to Peter. "If anything, we should be looking after them for the night! And fairies! Who'd have thought?!" Peter simply nods, but I can see his is troubled behind his hazel eyes. 

"We shouldn't've accepted, not with those bloody pirates following us." He whispers harshly. 

"But... you said they can be dangerous!" 

"Yeah, fire small fairy arrows at you, not much worse than a splinter, but pirates will kill anything, in case it's escaped your attention, princess." He barks, forgetting to whisper. All the faries fly away from us in a cloud of dazzling smoke. I wish I could fly away, what happened to the Peter who promised adventure, who cared about me?

As the fairies take to the air, dust rains down on us. This only agitates Peter more as he sweeps it off his shoulders in frustration, but I feel the forest floor slip from beneath me...

And I'm flying with no control. I'm clawing at the grass to prevent myself from flying any higher, but all it does is get caught under my nails. Tears stream from my eyes, I've always had control over my actions!

Two hands lightly hold my waist, and I'm looking into the face of an amused Peter, who flies with ease and elegance. I place my hands on his shoulders, and find myself laughing along with him. I must've looked a fool! We slowly spin up and up, closer and closer to the afternoon sun. The ground sparkles with fairies lights below, and we are laughing so hard I feel like I won't ever need to laugh again. 

And then his lips are on mine.