Chapter 33: The Separate Ways

THE SEPARATE WAYS

A week ago, when Rhianʼs wound was healed, she was discharged from the hospital, and everything is back to normal, as she regularly attends classes and internships. But during that week, Felix hasnʼt even shown up to work in the office, there at the NBI headquarters.

Vahn didnʼt even know where or how to find Felix. He talked to Christopher, but even he didnʼt answer his friendʼs texts and calls. “Pinuntahan ko na siya sa bahay niya, pero wala siya roon sabi ng guwardiya,” sabi ni Christopher.

Nagkatinginan sina Vahn, Cyruz, at Lloyd. Kinagabihan, tinawagan niya si Rhian. “Has Felix come in yet?” he asked when she called, but she heard Vahn sigh on the line, and even though Vahn didnʼt say it, she already knew what the answer was.

“Since I got out of the hospital, I havenʼt texted or called him,” sabi niya. “Kasi alam ko naman ang dahilan kung bakit hanggang ngayon, hindi pa rin siya nagpapakita. Kailangan niya lang siguro ng space.”

“Hmm. Ano pala ang ginagawa mo?” tanong ni Vahn.

“Internship report. Mga tulog na mga kaibigan ko rito sa boarding house, ako na lang natitirang gising.”

“Okay, pero mamaya-maya, matulog ka na. Huwag masyadong magpapapuyat,” sabi ni Vahn.

Sumilay naman ang ngiti ni Rhian sa kaniyang labi. “Yes naman, kuyang-kuya talaga kina-career na niya,” mapang-asar na sabi niya sa pinsan dahilan kung bakit napangisi rin si Vahn habang nasa loob na ng kaniyang kuwarto.

“Oh, at least, thereʼs proof that you deserve me to be a big brother.” They both just laughed, but Rhian went silent on the line again, and Vahn couldnʼt hear her voice. “Rhian, are you still there?”

“Nag-aalala ako para sa kaniya. Gusto ko na siyang makausap, pero tama lang na medyo lumayo muna siya. Kung ako ang nasa sitwasyon niya, lalayo muna ako para magpalamig at hanapin ang sarili,” sabi ni Rhian.

“Kung nasaan man siya, sana maging ligtas at maayos ang kaniyang kalagayan.”

“Huwag kang mag-alala, babalitaan na lang kita kung sakaling magparamdam na sa opisina si Felix,” sabi ni Vahn.

When Rhian put down her phone, she was still facing her laptop, sitting on the sofa, because until now she was still in the living area and her friends were asleep in the boysʼ room and girlsʼ room.

Itʼs past eight in the evening. She held the phone, hesitating to tap Felixʼs number to text him or dial his number to call him. She stood up from her seat and walked back and forth, thinking of a way to find her cousin.

Huminto siya at agad na nag-type ng mga words na kaniyang sasabihin. “Felix, please, magparamdam ka naman. Iʼm already worried about you.” She sent it and wasnʼt disappointed when she saw that it had been sent completely.

Nag-type pa siya ng anatoher words. “I want to talk to you. Please, Felix. Kung nababasa mo ito, donʼt ignore this message, okay? Naghihintay ako sa iyo.” Then muli na naman niya itong isinend.

She waited for an opportunity and for a few moments to see if she would receive a reply, but there was none after five minutes of waiting. She didnʼt try to call again because Felix wouldnʼt answer that either.

She returned to her seat, put her phone on the table, and just focused her attention on the laptop again when suddenly her phone vibrated. She immediately took it as if she were excited to see Felixʼs name on the screen, but she frowned when it was Gregory calling.

“Oh, hey, napatawag ka?” pagsagot niya sa tawag.

“Wala lang. Kinakamusta ka,” sabi ni Gregory.

“Hmm, Iʼm doing a report for an internship. So itʼs a bit busy since everything is back to normal, but I can manage my part in our collaboration series,” sabi niya.