Chapter 6

ASHTON

University in the UK was a lot different from in the States. Usually, in the States, I would've been off to some sporting event, but here those were one in a few here and they still didn't have much of the fanfare as back home.

I was finding it a bit hard to meet people at uni, as I wasn't staying in the dorms or attending any of the parties. The only parties I seemed to attend these days were the ones at art galleries.

I had just about left campus when I felt a hand on my shoulders.

I turn around to face the person.

"Hi ?" I ask. There were two guys and a girl.

"You're Ashton right?" The girl asks.
She had short curls and wore clothes too bold for a university campus.

" Yes," I answer.

"I'm Edith, and they're Mason and Carter." She points to the boys respectively.

Mason was a tad skinny, and Carter was taller and a bit buff.

"We having a film showing at the pub tomorrow night, you should come." Mason hands me a flyer.

" Sure. " I agree.

They walk away off and see Wilson waving around a corner.

I say hi to Wilson, and sit in the car.

I scroll through articles on the internet to kill time. There wouldn't be much at home to occupy my time, Jasper would be at soccer practice and Eloise usually started to fall asleep around now.

I close my eyes and try to get a short nap. Just as had settled on a comfortable place to rest my head, my phone starts to vibrate.

Hunter's name flashes across the call screen.

I answer the call ,"Hello?"

"Hello beautiful, " he greets. " Are you on your way home as yet ?"

I see my reflection blushing in the window.

"Yes," I reply, trying my best not to give him any indication that his words had any effect on me.

"I need you to bring a folder that I left on the bed to me." He says

"Can't you get your assistant to come and collect it? I ask him.

"You need the fresh air." He hangs up.

I get Hunter's folder from the bed, and ask Wilson to take me to his office.

It's weird being the company without my dad. He had always promised to give me the full tour but he had kept putting it off until later, and later never came. And the last time, I was here with Hunter I decided to stay outside.

I put on a brave face, and step inside.

Seeing the receptionist in the lobby, I go to her.

"Good day, " I greet her. "Will you please tell Mr Leer that Ashton here's to meet him ?"

She looks at me puzzled, "And you're? "

"Ashton Vann . . . Leer ," I tell her

"Look kid, lying about your name won't get you a job here." She says in a dismissive tone.

Deciding not to be rude to any of Hunter's employees, I call him.

"Hunter, please call the receptionist, and tell her to give me a visitor's pass," I whisper into the phone.