Chapter 4

ASHTON

"It would only be a week, I promise," I said over the phone. I had spent the last hour trying to convince my brother to let me visit him in America.

"No way, what would happen Hunter, and the kids? "He yells. They had managed to survived when Hunter was single.

I sigh, "Whose brother are you, mine or Hunter's ?" I ask him.

" I'm on the side of the right," he says.

" I should've known you wouldn't side with me. " I tell him.

"Ashton, don't even think about setting foot in America without Hunter's permission. You shouldn't even be thinking about anything other than school or your family ." He lectures.

"Goodbye, Andrew." I end the call.

I check the time to see that almost time for Jasper to come home from his play date.

Mrs Crawford had gone home and left me in charge of Eloise. I was unable to convince her to stay, apparently, Hunter had already convinced her that I was capable to care for two children on my own.

I wrap a blanket over a sleeping. Eloise. She was a pretty well-behaved baby. I could tell that Hunter was sad he wasn't able to spend much time with Eloise, and it made me wonder what it was like for my dad after my mom died.

The doorbell rings, and I meet Jasper outside. I wave to Wilson, and he drives off.

"Good afternoon, Ash." Jasper greets me with a hug. 

Jasper was very well-mannered, unlike his father who had it his life's mission to be rude to me. From forcing me to have dinner with his friends, to constantly sharing his unwanted opinion about anything I did.

" Is Dad here? " Jasper asks.

" He's not here," I tell him.

"But he promised to come home early," Jasper whines.

"I am sure he'll be here soon." I try to sound hopeful.

Jasper had spent all of yesterday convincing his dad to agree on a family outing today. As much as I detested spending time with Hunter, I agreed to go for Jasper's sake.

Jasper had just about given up on waiting for his dad to come when Hunter opens the door.

"Ashton? " Hunter announces his arrival.

"I am right here," I answer, directing his search for me to the living room.

"Daddy !" Jasper jumps in his arms.

"Aren't you going to greet me? "Hunter asks. This was exactly what I meant when I said Hunter liked to pick at me.

I sigh, " Should I kiss you ?" I ask him.

Jasper giggles, and I immediately regret my sarcasm. "It would make Daddy happy," Jasper comments.

"Are you ready for today's adventure?" Hunter asks.

Jasper nods excitedly."Ok, go change your shoes first." Hunter tells him.

Jasper runs off. I follow after Jasper, but Hunter grabs my wrist tugging me towards himself.

I feel my face heat up at his touch, memories of him massaging my sprained ankle from a week ago flooding my mind.

"Don't make claims you can't live up to ." He whispers.