Vol. 3/ Chapter 1: Assets of the state

Start from the beginning

"Something on my face?" Adelaide deadpans the closest person next to her, causing them to flinch. Her mood wasn't getting better, since her would be second in command was in a cold, black bodybag.

"N-Nothing! We were just talking about..." The agent visibly flinched after seeing Adelaide put her free hand on the gun at her holster.

"...w-well, we heard the news what happened in county hillock, so..." the man answered nervously. The other soldiers behind him seem to be nodding their heads.

News do travel fast. She could only wonder what kind of impression the mission sounded to these nutheads.

Adelaide gives them a sigh, before shaking her head. "Let's just say it didn't go as the higher-ups planned. The whole mission lacked-"

"Stop. That's about how far you're allowed to say." A stern, familiar voice with a strong Victorian accent came from the hallway she was supposed to go in. All of them turned their heads towards the source.

A tall female Sarkaz with silverish- white hair, styled in a two block with matching layered wolf cut, walked up towards them with her hands inside her pocket. Adelaide couldn't help but click her tongue.

It was Franziska Vy, her division's handler.

She was technically her senior officer.

"Adel, the manager wants to see you. Head on inside, the asset will be taken to the infirmary." She stares at the Ægir, before motioning for her to follow.

"And as for the three of you lot..." She spares a glance towards the other agents near the entrance. "...might as well find something worth while to do now, innit?"

"Y-Yes ma'am!" They all said in unison, before walking towards a bulky mess of supply crates. She watched them disappear to a nearby barracks, before sighing.

Franziska entered the lobby of the main headquarters, and saw that her subordinate was waiting for her. Adelaide had her arms crossed across her chest while lightly tapping her foot on the tiled floor, as if irritated.

"Adel, I thought I told you to go?" The Sarkaz asked as she walked towards the elevator.

"Well, I wanted to apologize for what happened back there ma'am." Adelaide responded as they boarded the lift. The hum of electrical wiring filled their ears as the doors shut close.

"Mhm, it's fine."

"..."

"..."

"So...am I being reprimanded..?" The Ægir asked after a moment of awkward silence on her part. Her head barely reached the Sarkaz's shoulder, so she had to crane her neck as she glanced beside her.

Adelaide wasn't particularly fond of having close ties with her superiors. She respects them, yeah, but she just can't bring herself to form close ties with them.

After all, she was just transferred very recently into Franziska's division after an incident with Babel some 9 months prior, because she overrode her previous handler's orders.

"Hmm, who knows..." Franziska responded rather nonchalantly, which made the Ægir tense up.

As they get off the elevator and made their way towards The Manager's office, she still couldn't reach a consensus as to whether the woman in front of her was being serious or not.

"H-Hey ma'am, you're not joking right?" Adelaide queried, seemingly nervous if she does get fired.

'Does this person even know how to tell a joke?!'

If that happens, then her ambitions at building her own defense contracting company would be shattered. Years of hard work through life and death situations down the drain.