Chapter 21.

For the second time that year, I awoke in a hospital room.

I had never felt so beaten in my entire life.

When I swallowed my throat was as dry and rough as sandpaper and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. My ribs ached and pain stabbed into my gut when I breathed and I was scared to move in case anything else was aggravated. My scalp was burning from the abuse it had succumbed to.

I peered to my left, I spotted a minuscule transparent tube, following it curiously until I saw it disappear into my arm. I felt faint. I was a goner when it came to needles - never mind that in my arm. The decor was bleak and the supposedly calming canvas of a sandy beach was ineffective on my mood. A lamp was settled in the corner, casting a dull orange glow on the room. I lay rigidly in the sterilised crisp white sheets that completely lacked the comfort my own bed held in every way and my neck was stiff from the solid mattress.

Then I saw him.

Hunched over the bed, his tie was loose and his designer Armani suit was torn, scuffed and bloodied. Zach was, despite his chaotic appearance, asleep; his gorgeous deep chestnut eyes hidden behind his closed eyelids and the long, black eyelashes brushing against his skin put mine to shame. There were faint dark circles under his eyes and I knew that he must have tried to stay awake the whole night. His thick eyebrows had lowered into a frown and his red lips were pressed together firmly. I noticed that his five o'clock shadow was a shade darker and his hair was unkempt - evidence that he had been running his hands through it repeatedly.

I was intrigued by his dorment state; I had never seen him look so peaceful. He wasn't snoring, but his breaths were heavy and consistent as he dreamt. His warm hand was clasped tightly on to mine, even in his sleep, and the size of it dwarfed mine completely.

The door to the room was swung open suddenly by a young nurse, the creak of the hinges and the click of the doorjamb causing Zach to stir slightly. I froze, then stared at the nurse, or Amy, as her name badge signified, as I held my index finger to my lips for her to be quiet.

She paused slightly as she glanced down at him before silently stepping into the room and closing the door gently.

"Has he been here all night?" I whispered softly as I gazed at his sleeping face.

Amy nodded, a gentle expression crossing her features before she frowned. "He caused a bit of trouble actually, he refused to leave even though your mother wanted to stay. I was a bit uneasy about letting him instead of your mother since you're under eighteen but..."

I scowled at him.

How dare he.

"But?" I almost hissed.

"He seems to love you a lot." Amy smiled softly.

My heart stalled for a second. There it was again. First the old man in the taxi, now her. I looked down at the man sleeping over my bed.

"Do you love him?" she asked.

My eyes flew up to meet her mousy brown ones. Her question was prominent in my mind as I silently asked myself again. I stole a glimpse of Zach again and my breathing hitched as I remembered his strong arms carrying me, the warmth of his chest, his comforting scent. All of the memories I had of him since our strange first encounter flashed through my mind.

And those brown eyes. Those scorching, bronze orbs encased in rich, dark, chocolate that always seemed fixed on me.

I did.

I loved him.

I loved the person who ran me over.

Irony was not the word.