Four.

Opera Populaire

Paris, France

***

Y/N sat in the the middle of the seventh row of the auditorium, to the left of her was her father and to her right was Charles. The front two rows were jam packed with actors, actresses, and dancers waiting for their role's turn to audition. She would be the very last to sing, meaning that she would be tortured with anxiety from the beginning to end of the day's events. 

The theater's lights were entirely on today, meaning she saw the chandelier in it's full glory tonight. It sparkled as if made of stars and momentarily distracted her from the immense and unrelenting nervousness she felt pulsing through her body. 

Her father noticed her leg's constant up-and-down movement, and gently placed a hand on her knee to halt the motion. She looked at him with a small, weak smile. 

"You haven't a thing to worry about, my dear," He whispered, "It's your competition that should be worried."

Y/N nodded, gripping the fabric of her white skirt. It had been Charles' idea for her to wear white, as it was her favorite color -- everyone believed it to be a flattering shade for her. She was actually wearing one of the new gowns her father ordered her, an elegant yet simple white dress with cream-colored detailing and corset. 

Watching the auditions, Y/N grew further impressed with the quality of their ballet. Those who auditioned for the prima ballerina roles seemed to move about the stage as if they were weightless. Each girl was called one by one to perform a three minute dance, and she couldn't detect a single difference between the girls' calculated movements. 

Once the ballerinas and choral auditions were concluded, they began calling for specific roles. The man running the auditions alongside Monsieur Carriere, Monsieur Reyer, seemed indifferent to every singer and dancer thus far. He called the first character's name: "General Albina!" 

A line of three men formed at the base of the stage, and were then ushered into a new order, likely based on whether or not they had previously held a role in this opera house. 

The first man to perform, a large Spaniard, was greeted as Mister Piangi. He had a booming voice, which echoed through the entire auditorium. She wished he could have been more handsome, or at least have his Spanish accent turned down a bit. 

Halfway through his audition, she began leaning on Charles' shoulder

"What's wrong, Teddy?" He whispered to her, only able to see her shiny hair on his shoulder. 

"If he and I each get roles... I'll have to kiss that man in Act Three."

Charles snickered under his breath, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, "You'll be alright. I've heard the Spanish are passionate lovers."

She poked him firmly in his side, earning them both a stern glance and 'tsk'ing noise from her father. 

Finally, after many more auditions for the lead and supporting roles of the show, Monsieur Reyer announced the name: "Cassia!"

Y/N shot up from her seat and scooted past her father, walking quickly to the stage. Two other women arrived alongside her, but she was first in line. 

That was until Monsieur Reyer reorder them, in which case she became dead last in line. 

The first woman on stage was the last season's prima donna -- a lady named Carlotta. Y/N wouldn't know this until many days after the audition, but it was a well known fact in the Populaire that she had gotten that role by sleeping with one of the patrons to the theatre.