We Meet Again

Feng Xin buys Jian Lan a beer just to break the ice

"Ah Feng Xin! Good timing. Help me with all this", Xie Lian said, gesturing at a row of assorted drinks on his DJ booth sill.

He frowned, "Hey, I'm not that 17-year-old who drinks just fucking anything as long as it's alcoholic!", he replied. "I've raised my standards; I only drink artisan beer now".

Xie Lian laughed heartily, "Alright. It's just, people keep sending me drinks with song requests, I can't drink them all".

It was Xie Lian's first night as resident DJ at The Gamblers' Den, and after much insistence, Feng Xin agreed to drop by and say hi. Xie Lian didn't need his friends to come around though, his setlists were good enough to get the place packed whenever he played.

"Otherwise I'll end up playing Ed Sheeran", Xie Lian said teasingly. Feng Xing hated Ed Sheeran.

"Gimme that pink stuff there", Feng Xin replied, pointing at a drink grudgingly. He downed it.

"Whoa, this honeyberry martini is sweet, but strong. Slow down", Xie Lian said.

"Alright", he replied, going for a gin tonic instead.

Xie Lian smiled at him, "Thanks for coming!", and played a song apparently requested by a group on their left, because they started shouting in a frenzy. Xie Lian nodded at them and smiled.

"Where's Mu Qing?", he asked.

Feng Xin replied, "Can you believe he's working? He said he has to finish some business plans this weekend. Pfff I thought I was the only one who fucking went all work and no play!"

"Well you're here!", Xie Lian said, then asked, "Have you seen Jian Lan?"

How could he not have seen Jian Lan? No matter how big the place, he could always find her in the crowd. With a glance he saw her, by a column near the bar, talking to two other girls, and giggling. Feng Xin had a crush on Jian Lan since forever; after he realised what Hua Cheng actually felt for Xie Lian, he didn't think he was weird anymore. He understood.

"Yeah", he replied. He knew Xie Lian was smiling inwards, not fooled by that indifferent tone at all. He added, "She just wants to move on you know".

"Or, maybe she feels guilty and wants to apologis – ", Xie Lian was saying, but Feng Xin interrupted him, "She doesn't need to. To apologise".

Xie Lian played a new song, then said, "Feng Xin. Go and say hi, buy her a beer. To break the ice".

Feng Xin kept looking at Jian Lan on the distance; she looked pretty on a blue velvet dress with a mock turtle neck and a wide black hairband, 1960s style. But then, she always looks pretty. And she seemed fine too, moving on; she certainly didn't look stuck in the past, like him.

He shook his head almost unnoticeably, thinking it was useless, but then, he thought, he should listen to Xie Lian: he knew about these things.

"Yeah", he replied.

Xie Lian smiled and patted him on the shoulder, "It's no big deal you know. Just say hi, how you've been. I'm sure she'll be happy".

He made his way through the crowd to the bar, and after what seemed forever, managed to speak to a barman and ordered two beers. He paid, turned around, and Jian Lan was right behind him, apparently queuing up to the bar too. He pushed a beer into her hands.

"You have to fight your way to this bar, so have this one", he said.

"Hum", she hesitated, "Thanks".

They clinked their beers, and took a sip at the same time, smiling at each other awkwardly.