II

NYX

"Just so you know, I'm not my mother. I'll make it to the top of Ramiel with or without you," Aria joked. Though her blue-gray eyes glimmered with pride and admiration at the mention of what her mother had done for her friends.

"Please, we all know I'll have to carry you to the top by the end of the week," Nyx threw.

"Wasn't it your father who was carried by Uncle Cassian during his Rite?" Catrin challenged.

Nyx frowned. "And your mother by Aunt Emerie."

Catrin shrugged. "I know, but I'm not the one sneering at the best of us." Aria gave a cocky smile and wiggled her brows. "Both of her parents are generals. She was basically born with a sword in her hand."

Nyx snorted. "The other Illyrians will run in fear the moment they see her."

Aria slammed her hands on the table. "Enough joking around, we need to get ready for the Rite. From now on, it's waking up at dawn with two hours of training every. Single. Day."

"What you need to do is get ready for the evening," the High Lord of the Night Court raised his brows by the door. He nodded to the clock. "The party starts in an hour and the three of you are still in your fighting leathers."

Aria looked down at herself, "I'm always in my fighting leathers." Nyx snorted.

"Are you planning on wearing them for the Solstice? I'm sure your mother will approve," Rhysand smirked. "At best she'll return your present before giving it to you. At worst..."

Aria shot up from her chair. "I've had enough scoldings. I'm going to get ready."

Catrin left right after to change as well.

"You also need a bath," Rhysand scrunched his nose at his son.

Nyx chuckled and stood. As he made his way out of the room, his father stopped him, eyes soft. "You don't have to participate in the Rite because your cousins want to, you know."

"I know," he replied. "And I want to. Aria and I were holding off so that we could do it with Catrin and Callum. Uncle Az wasn't so... keen on the plan."

Rhysand huffed. "Believe me, he'll be fretting over them for the entire week. Over all of you," he paused. "So will I. And let's not even mention your mother."

Nyx smiled.

"If it's any consolation, I'll rejoice if you don't come back." Nyx and his father turned to face Valeria, adorned in a beautiful lilac gown, complimenting her purple eyes. Her blue-black locks fell in waves down her open back.

She was crossing her arms and smirking at her older brother.

"Valeria," her father warned.

"I'm just joking, Daddy. Of course, I'll be sad if something happens to him." She gave her father her sweetest smile. Rhysand flicked his daughter's cheek and went upstairs. Val turned back to her brother. "I mean I'll be sad for a good five minutes then I'll move on."

"Of course, you will," Nyx snorted. "And if I die, I'll come back and haunt you for the rest of your life."

She smirked. "Of course, you will." She took her brother's arm and led him upstairs. "Would you like to see my mourning cry? I've practiced for my performance should this day come."

Nyx shook his head, laughing. Valeria had landed her first role in a play. She'd always loved the attention and therefore, had always loved being on stage. She would often put on a show in the middle of the family room by herself when she was a child. Back when Nyx thought her unbearable. He still did sometimes.