Office Elevator

Comincia dall'inizio

"Oh. I am Nanon Korapat. Employee id 15008691. Marketing Executives department. Junior employee." I introduced myself with a smile and extended my hand.

Suddenly there was a judder in the lift and the lights flickered and then what I feared happened. The lift came to a halt in the middle of 15th and 16th floor. And after a second the dim emergency light went off too.

"Ok, I pretended ok? I pretended..." I muttered.

"Sorry?" The other guy finally spoke in a confused tone.

"I PRETENDED TO LOVE MY SHITTY JOB! BUT I DON'T. IT'S BEEN A YEAR OF NON PRODUCTIVE STUPIDITY! CONGRATULATIONS TO ME! AND I HATE THIS FUCKING ELEVATOR THE MOST!"

To my embarrassment, the lights flickered on.

He snickered but controlled himself when I turned to look at him confused.

I took a few deep breath and calmed myself. "Sorry. For once I thought we are going to die. So I spoke my heart out." I scratched my head smiling nervously.

He chuckled and pressed his lips. This time he walked closer and extended his hand. "Ohm."

I shook it with a smile because till we get out of this elevator, he is my only companion anyway. "So... you can bleach it." I said pointing at the stain.

"I see..." He smiled.

"Let me tell you. Coffee stain still means you had time to have a cup of coffee. Not like you need to lift so many boxes alone from 27 floors."

"Didn't you say you are a marketing junior? Why are you doing logistics?"

"You seem to be on contract so you might not know. There are so many levels on levels for different department and designations to make people happy for having a job here."

"Meaning?"

"Ummm, how do I explain?" I thought. And sat down leaning my back against the elevator wall. "This organization has so many people. You know why?" I patted on my side asking him to sit.

He sat in front instead facing me. He shook his head. "No?"

"Let's take an example. Why am I here?" I smiled at him.

He smiled scanning me from top to bottom. "Why?"

"Because my boss Mr. Phob who is deputy junior chief director, who has to report to Mr. Kan who is junior chief director, who in turn has to report to Ms. Pa who is chief director, who reports to Mrs. Nim who is the director of Marketing department, she then reports to the VP and The VP reports to the MD and CEO... they need me to run errands for them."

"That's quite a long chain of reporting." He seemed to be in thought.

I chuckled and punched his knee playfully. "Yes... And then comes me. Assistant to the deputy blah blah... I don't need to repeat right?" I asked.

He smiled and shook his head sneering. "I remember." He said looking at me.

"And the actual work of this whole chain is to check the marketing plans documented by me and my peers and that are going to be approved by the VP or CEO. Rest everyone is just like a courier chain. Like how you board buses from one stop to another?"

He chuckled. "And you create documents?" He asked.

"Sometimes... Most of the times, I prepare material for documents. With a double MBA degree, I am now experienced in knowing which paper type to choose for which printer. Sometimes it has to have some essence on it if we are to send it to the CEO." I said and shrugged.

'IS SOMEONE STUCK IN HERE'

The alarm system finally responded. I got up and turned to it. "Yes please. I am employee number 15008691 from Executives Marketing team. There is a logistics guy stuck with me too."