• Chapter 26 •

Start from the beginning

The sudden urge to step back two steps was hard to fight down, his heart skipping a beat at her touch. He didn't like being touched. The only physical contact he received so far was mostly malicious and harmful, and the very little percentage that wasn't got drowned out by the ones he hated. But if she touched him, somehow it wasn't that bad like the rest. It confused him, and he didn't like it.

A fairly heavy thing being placed in the palm of his hand break him away from his thoughts. His head tilted to the side a little as he inspected the knife placed in his hand. It was a combat knife, with pretty but unnecessary detailing on the handle. The blade was serrated, a typical type of a US combat knife. He didn't need to ask who it was from.

„I stole it from a Shadow," Rora cleared her throat, not being sure why she got that look from him. „It looked too great to leave it there. And it reminded me of you."

„Why?" Ghost asked, genuine curiosity showing through his words.

„It's rough around the edges."

Their eyes met, each of them showing something else. Her crystalline eyes glistened with amusement by her own humor, the corner of her lips curved up as she looked up at him, while Ghost's eyes clearly showed how unimpressed he was. With a swift motion, he flicked his wrist, throwing the knife in the air. She watched as it flipped in the air and he caught it with such grace and practicality, she was unable to hide her fascination.

„I have enough knives," he said as he handed it back to her. With a shake of her head, she pushed his hand back.

„It's a gift, and I killed somebody for it. So take it." Just to get her point through, she flashed him one of her most innocent smiles, fluttering her lashes just for good measure.

For a few seconds, the two of them held each other's gaze, both of them too stubborn to back down, but the scuff of boots against the floor caused them to snap out of it. Only to see a retrieving Soap, and she only caught a glimpse of his back, her mouth opening in disbelief. Did he really just ditch her with Ghost?

„Why am I here again?" Ghost broke the sudden silence, earning her attention once again. And as she looked up at him, suddenly she had a lot to say.

She haven't got a chance to spend some alone time with him in a hot minute, and even though she didn't like to admit it, Rora enjoyed his company. She liked the teasing, the fact that all of her flirty remarks bounced off of him with ease. She liked that whenever their eyes met, it changed: his eyes weren't so cold anymore, they just held little light, but she wanted to be the one to reignite it again.

But she would rather die than say any of those things out loud.

„Soap is a pussy, and I can't do this myself," Rora moved a little her injured leg, showing what she meant. „So, even though this pains me, but... Could you help me stitch my leg?"

She blurted out the last part of the sentence so fast he could barely understand, and by the slight tint of her cheeks, he could tell she was embarrassed to ask for help. Rora Wells was probably going to die because of her pride, all of them knew this.

„Is it lethal?" Ghost asked, looking at her leg. It looked like shit, even in this lighting.

„No...?" her eyebrows furrowed at him, she just didn't get some of his questions. „As you can see, I'm still breathing."

„Then why do you need me?" he crossed his arms in front of his chest, as he took a step back, his eyes flicking back to hers.

Are you fucking kidding me? Rora had to take a moment to not cuss him out because of his dumbness like she didn't just break a piece of her pride even by asking for help.