• Chapter 15 •

„What did you do before this?"

„What do you mean?" Ghost gruffed out, pushing his elbows into the ground as he tried to take up a solid position.

Relatively soon, they found the perfect lookout spot where they (well, mostly Ghost) could overwatch the whole mansion. Him being a skillful sniper, it wasn't that big of a task. But for her, well... Rora was mostly there for moral support and because her possible concussion didn't let her do much.

Lying on her stomach next to him, she let her head rest in the palm of her hand, looking at him from the corner of her eye.

„Well, I trained dogs for the military. Y'know, to seek out explosives or to find bodies and whatever. Or to protect," a smile appeared on her lips as she remembered her dogs, holding each one close to her heart. „That kind of stuff. What did you do?"

„Solo missions," was his short reply, placing the sniper in front of him. The way he did everything screamed specialism and routine, and she could watch him stand the sniper up so professionally all day.

„That must've been lonely," she wondered, pouting her lip.

„And quiet," Ghost sent her a pointed look, trying to get her to stay quiet, but Rora decided to ignore it.

„Yeah, whatever," she brushed him off, trying to get into a more comfortable position as something was digging into her ribs. „I've got to keep one of the dogs I trained. His name's Kilo."

She waited for a moment, waiting for him to cut her off again or just tell her to shut the fuck up, but she took his silence as a sign to continue.

„He's a black German Shepherd, my best dog yet. You guys would love him," she smiled as she thought about her dog, currently staying in her apartment in New York, her flatmate taking good care of him.

She didn't want a flatmate at all, but she worked so much that she felt bad for leaving Kilo all alone all day. And the prices were ridiculous, so getting a flatmate was her best shot. Her name was Leilani, a Hawaiian girl that was too sweet for this world, loving Kilo just as much as Rora did.

So when she got back in the field, she knew that Kilo would be okay with her.

„What happened to it?" Ghost asked, his tone not that cold anymore.

„He almost died on me," her lip pouted as sadness took over her eyes, feeling that heavy feeling in her chest again when she desperately tried to get the bleeding dog out of harm's way. „He pushed me out of a grenade's way. Went blind to one eye, and almost completely deaf. He's the sweetest boy, though. You kind of remind me of him, Lt."

Just as he placed the sniper so the butt pad was in the crook of his shoulder, his head snapped towards her, an unreadable look in his eyes.

„Did you just call me a dog?" Ghost dead-panned, his eyes boring into hers. Her eyebrows furrowed as she thought about what to say.

„Well," she ran her tongue along her bottom lip, turning her attention back to the mansion, trying to spot any movement with the binoculars in her hand. „You can take it that way but I intended that as a compliment."

With one hand, he let go of the sniper so he could turn to face her more comfortably, just about to ask her how the hell was that a compliment, when a gasp left her lips, still looking into the pair of binoculars.

„Movement!"

He shook his head, positioning himself back again, looking through the scope, scanning the ground for movement.

Shadows on station," Graves' voice called through the comms, startling her a little.

„Copy. All set here," Ghost replied, eyes set on the guards at the front gates.