• Chapter 1 •

The obnoxious sound of the little bell getting rung again at the front desk almost made Rora lose her shit.

„I'm coming!" she shouted, throwing the half-made bouquet on the desk, huffing out an annoyed breath. „Impatient fuckers."

Working at a flower shop was never on the list of future jobs, but she had no idea what she wanted to do with her life, and one day she just came across this shop, which seemed quiet enough for her to work at.

That was until she started working at Violet's Flowers, hating the name of the shop from the very first moment she saw it. All of a sudden, the shop was full of annoying and impatient people, and Rora couldn't stand people on her good days, let alone the ones who possess one of those traits.

She wiped her hands, wet from the fresh flowers she just worked on, her features contorted into an annoyed frown as she exited the back, stepping into the front of the shop.

It was already dark outside, usually, they didn't have any customers this late in the day, so it was indeed a surprise to see someone standing inside, looking at the flowers placed to display.

She was a middle-aged, well-dressed woman with an expression on her face that screamed authority. In New York, there were a lot of women with similar complexions, and they had one specific group of people as their customers – mostly men who tried so desperately to buy flowers for their wives they cheated on, or men who want to buy flowers for the person they cheated on with.

„Sorry," the woman spoke up, turning her head towards the girl, giving her a slight smile. „I'm in kind of a hurry."

„Everybody is these days seems to be," Rora retorted, but the sound of her boss' voice rang loudly in her head.

Be nice to our customers, we're already losing some because you were rude to them.

„How can I help you?" Rora forced out the words out of herself, not matching her tone to the polite words.

„You are Aurora Wells if I'm not wrong," the woman spoke, more like stating it instead of asking. Not many people knew her full name, mostly because she hated it, and she used Rora almost every day.

Only people whom she worked with called her Aurora.

„Who are you?" the young woman asked, her voice now completely bare of the previous politeness, only the coldness and steel-like eyes remaining.

„My name is Kate Laswell, and I came here because Captain John Price swore you were one of the best people he has ever worked with," the woman – Kate Laswell – was now standing merely a foot away from her, her cold blue eyes staring into Rora's icy ones. Rora could tell that she possessed power, such one that she could never, and that was the only reason she hadn't snapped at her.

Also, the mention of her old friend made her feel like a bucket of ice-cold water was dropped on her head. She didn't hear that name in a long time.

„I'm always one of the best," she answered, straightening her spine, towering over Laswell by a few inches. „But I left the military ground behind for a reason, ma'am."

„Oh, I know you did," Laswell nodded, her voice softening ever so slightly as she looked away, a small cactus catching her attention on the front desk. „I know what happened at your last mission."

The mention of her last mission made her heart crack a little, her face falling for a second, letting the elder woman see the hurt in her eyes. But as quickly as the feelings came, she built her guard up just as fast.

„I'm recruiting people for a special mission, formed by Captain Price," Laswell continues, deciding not to comment on the small crack she saw on her shield. „He's putting together a unit, and he needs people he can trust."

If it was not for his name, she would've already thrown out this Kate Laswell out the door, locking the door behind her, fuming for a few more minutes, then forgetting about the entire conversation.

But it was about Price, and she could never say to that man. The last mission she was on with him was a simple task, getting hostages out of a building with some bombs hidden on some of the floors. There were a few hours when they couldn't do much more than wait, and during those hours she got closer to John Price than ever before. He was like an uncle she never had, and she was rather sad by the fact that she will probably never get another chance to work with him.

She was eager to see him again, but there was a heavy feeling in her chest at the thought of going back to the military ground again, since the last time she was there it broke her completely. So she ran off to New York, eager to forget about all of the trauma.

And if she wanted to be honest with herself, she hated New York. She hated it with all her heart, she hated her daily job at the flower shop with all the stuck-up people in it, she hated her run-down apartment in one of the shittiest places on Earth, and she hated everyone in this city.

Hell, there were barely three people in the world she didn't dislike, and of them was her dog.

She considered her options: staying in New York, living the life she hated so much she hoped she wouldn't wake up the next morning, or going fight for something she probably doesn't understand, risking her life on the field.

Within a heartbeat, she decided she was going to follow her heart, as the sharp words rolled off her tongue with ease.

„When do I start?"

A/N:

heyy, good to see you here!

starting this story so i my mind could focus on other things

just a disclaimer, i dont really know a lot of things about military and stuff, so if something is off im so sorry, feel free to correct me

dont forget to vote and comment, would love to hear ur thoughts!