Chapter 3. The Attractive Stranger

En başından başla

Christine was still not convinced with that situation.

"I would never have imagined a man in a suit like you in a restaurant like that."

The man laughed, emitting a pleasant, warm sound, one of those that hug you.

"I'm a person with varied tastes. And you seem a little prejudiced," he said as if that wasn't a bad thing. In fact, he didn't seem to mean it maliciously.

"Maybe..." she replied, turning her gaze towards the window.

"It wasn't my intention to offend you. If you are that way, you'll have your reasons."

There was silence for a few seconds.

"My name is Miles," he said as he held out his left hand to her, something Christine saw reflected in the window pane. She turned to him, looked at his hand, and finally shook it.

"Christine."

"Pleased to meet you, Christine," he smiled at her before taking the wheel with his left hand as well.

The woman didn't answer, she had looked back at the window. She was no longer worried that the man was going to kidnap her, because she knew the path they were traveling on and she could tell that they were still on their way to Yorks Café. Nevertheless, she was still somewhat distraught by the latest events of the evening.

"Don't be sorry about that date. If it didn't go well, it's because he wasn't for you."

Christine looked at him, surprised, both because it seemed like Miles had read her mind and because it wasn't the first time she'd heard those words.

"That's what my best friend always tells me," she said almost in a whisper, crestfallen.

"Then you should listen to them."

"It's just that 'always' has already lasted a long time... I'm thirty-five years old, I'm tired of waiting."

"I'm thirty-nine and I'm still single too."

Christine raised an eyebrow, as if she were thinking 'how is it possible for someone so attractive to still be single?'.

"But in men it's not frowned upon, they tell us that we're going to be left behind."

Miles laughed and his body leaned a little over the wheel.

"You'd be surprised... But, anyway, why do you care of what people think about you? No one but you rules your life. It's one of my mottos."

"Actually, I don't care... But I'd like to..." She sighed. She had only shared that with her friends, because she was embarrassed. She felt it was nonsense.

"What would you like?" Miles inquired when he saw that Christine was not going to continue the sentence.

"Never mind... you'd laugh at me."

"Or maybe I surprise you and you won't think it's something to laugh at anymore."

Christine was silent for a few seconds and finally slipped a little in her seat and said:

"I'm looking for the love of my life."

The expected laughter never came. That amazed her so much that she glanced at Miles to make sure she was aware of the reality, and sure enough, the man wasn't even holding back a smile. Rather he seemed thoughtful.

"What's wrong with that?"

Christine didn't answer right away, as she hadn't expected that reply.

"I feel like I'm childish."