• Chapter 21 •

Start from the beginning

„I'm going to the jewelry store with or without you, Rory," Everett said, his voice emotionless as he stood in front of her.

After all the things he said to her, he was still thinking about getting more money for drugs.

„I'll never forgive you," she seethed through her teeth, anger making her hands shake. „If you go out that door to rob that place, I'll never forgive you."

„You already hate me," he shrugged his shoulder, a sad half-smile tugging at his lips, breaking another piece of her heart. „One day, you won't be able to hate me any more."

He was already walking towards the door, and even though she was mad as hell, worry flooded her veins like there was no tomorrow, making her dart out with the speed of light, catching his arm.

Her only weakness was him. The only thing that mattered to her heart, the only thing she was afraid to lose. She didn't mind losing her own life as much as she did his, and desperation was much louder than her anger.

„Wait! Don't leave!"

Her hands were barely able to get ahold of his arm, he spun around, his other hand wrapping around her throat and slamming her against the wall. With a yelp, the air got knocked out of her lungs, her blue eyes widening in shock as she stared back at the boy who owned her heart.

And now, he seemed to be shattering it with no mercy.

He leaned closer, their faces only inches away, his loving eyes turning cold and merciless, not holding one spark she loved so much. She barely recognized the man in front of her.

„Don't do that," he almost growled, a muscle popping in his jaw. „Don't try to follow me, because I will not hesitate to throw you in front of the police if it means I can get away."

And with that, he was out the front door in a heartbeat, her flinching at the sound of the door shutting behind him like thunder.

Crying until there were seemingly no tears left to cry, she laid in the bed they used to share, flicking through the channels on the TV, hoping that something will be able to distract her from all the things going on. Every five minutes she checked on her phone, hoping that a message from Everett would show up that he changed his mind or something, but it was completely silent.

She didn't know how long she dozed off, but her eyes snapped open at the sound of police sirens. She had the gut feeling that something was not right as she checked her phone, not one message from Ev. Clumsily, she switched the channel to the news, a horrible scene greeting her back.

The first thing she recognized was the Brilliant Diamond title right above the store, its glass door shattered, millions of glass pieces scattered around the pavement. And then her eyes finally could focus on the title flashed on the bottom of the screen.

ROBBERY GONE WRONG: TEEN DIED IN SHOOTDOWN

And before her mind could fully process what happened, the live camera flashed to the scene she wished on not even her worst enemy: the love of her life, the boy she loved with all her being and with every heartbeat, laying between crystal-like shattered glass and a pool of blood, only a dark material thrown over him as the medics ran over, trying to get the body out of sight as soon as possible.

Such a loud noise came from nowhere, making her head hurt so much she thought her entire being will explode, her hand grabbed at the root of her hair in desperation, the feeling of her heart getting ripped out feeling like her the shattered glass tried to make its home inside her chest.

It took her a few moments to realize the loud ringing caused in her ears was the aftermath of her world-shattering screaming, screaming until her throat gave out, until she physically couldn't hold herself up anymore, collapsing on the bare mattress under her, her tears soaking the material. She felt like it was her dying; no, this was much worse. She wished it was her, wishing this pain away, because this pain was unbearable, only silent screams and endless tears being her only company at the moment.