Chapter 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tobias' POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. I have to say I didn't see that coming, but I'm happy nonetheless. I look down, where Tris is leaning on me, her legs sprawled out over the couch in our apartment, and smile. She's practically glowing, and I know we're both struggling to keep the childish grins off our faces. Finally, Tris gives up and she pulls herself into a sitting position, she turns around to face me and I can see her smile etched across her face, as if it were sewn there, because I know it's going to be there for awhile.

I smile back and press my lips to hers, laughing as she stumbles back and I quickly wrap my arm around her waist and pull her back towards me, my hands trailing up and down her spine.

"Gosh I love you Tris," I mumble into her hair. I feel her laughter against my side and wrap my arms around her waist.

"I love you too."

~{2 weeks later}~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tris' POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake to movement on Tobias' side of the bed, and before I turn around I know he's having a nightmare. I gently shake his arm.

"Tobias, it's just a dream," I whisper soothingly as he jolts awake and buries his face in the crook of my neck, his breath tickling my collarbone.

"Ssh, it was just a dream," I whisper.

"It felt so real," he mumbles.

"I know, they always do." I rub his back gently until he sits up a few minutes later. "Do you want to talk about it?" I ask carefully.

He shrugs. "There's not much to tell, I was back in Abnegation and, you know..." I nod, my chest aching at what he had to go through, and I wish there was something I could've done, but there wasn't. "But...it was different..." he continues. "I-I turned into...him...it was like we traded places and-" he starts sobbing, something he doesn't do very often, and I know it must've been bad. I sigh and wrap my arms around him again. I guess I should've expected it, but it still hurts to see him suffer.

"Do you know why this one was different?" I ask a few minutes later, when his sobs had died down.

He looks at me, and I can see the fear in his piercing blue eyes, and it feels like I've been stabbed.

"I'm not sure..." he shrugs. "I guess I'm just afraid that I'll...be like him." He looks away, ashamed.

"You won't," I say firmly. "Look at me." I take his face in my hands and gently lift it up so he has to look at me. I run my thumb over his cheek. "You won't be like him, you understand? You're kind, and selfless, and brave, and honest, and intelligent, and I know in my heart that you could never be capable of ever doing something like that because I know you love me, and you love the baby, and I trust you with my life, no, our lives, because I love you Tobias, okay?"

He stares at me for a moment, his eyes wide, and before I know it he's crying into my shoulder again, but I know this time it's not out of fear.

"Thank you Tris..." he sniffles a bit.

"I love you, Tobias, and I always will," I say gently as I wipe the tears from his face. He gives me a watery smile.

"I love you too, Tris."

"Please tell me you won't think that way ever again?" I practically beg him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author note:

HOLY FLIPPING HECK AS I FINISHED TYPING "me" I ACCIDENTALLY MISSED A KEY AND MY INDEX FINGER ACCIDENTALLY TOUCHED THE SCREEN AND DELETED THE WHOLE STORY, AND I WAS FREAKING OUT AND OMG BUT I GOT IT BACK

Sorry to interrupt the fluff gang

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He takes my face in his hands. "I'll try Tris, I swear, but I don't think I'll ever know for sure until I hold the baby in my arms and kiss her head and know for sure I don't want to hurt her."

I nod and close my eyes, laying my head down on my pillow before shooting upright and nearly banging my head into Tobias'.

"Woah, Tris, what's the matter?" He asks, eyes wide.

"Did you call the baby a 'her'?" I smirk.

His cheeks go red and he rubs at the back of his neck. "Uhm...I don't know...did I?"

I wrap my arms around him and press the side of my face to his chest, feeling his racing heartbeat thump against my cheek. "You want a girl."

"Uh...maybe...".

"Why?"

"I don't know, I guess I just like the idea of a mini Tris running around, with the same strength, will and beauty of her mother."

I smile and wish I could reply, but my eyes drift shut and I feel Tobias pressing his lips to my temple with a slight chuckle before sleep overcomes me.