14. grief, tears and a baby

Anne officially moved in a week ago. Thankfully she lives a quiet, peaceful existence and is a calming influence for me.

Harry has been super busy with his work so we haven't managed to have a meal together since just over a week ago.

I can't tell if this is actually the case of longer hours required of his job at the moment, or it's his wife, Zara preventing him from visiting.

Since Anne lives with me I had no choice but to tell her a little about Harry, without giving away who he is. Anne seemed very uninterested in his potential identity and just said, "I'll stay in my room, out of sight, out of mind, right?"

I kind of want Anne to know who I'm in a relationship with, but at the same time, I know that's probably not the best idea.

At ten minutes before six, Anne made herself a tray with tea and biscuits for herself to take upstairs with her. Only, it was as she stepped out of the kitchen and aiming for the stairs on the other side of the room, when there was a knock at the front door.

Physically, I struggled ridiculously to even lift myself off the couch. This prompted Anne to put the tray she was carrying down and answer the door.

Anne's jaw hit the ground as soon as she saw who was there. I heard Harry's voice from the doorway, "Uh, you're not Marjorie. Is Addy here?"

My sister looked at me like I was a crazy person. But decided to let Harry in and grab her tray to head upstairs.

Harry chuckled, "Who was that?"

"My sister, Anne. She'll be staying with me until the babe is born." I answered easily.

Harry is the kind of gentleman that knows when to and not to push topics of conversation.

His only real question was "Do I bring a third meal for Anne when I come back over next?"

I couldn't help the smile on my face, so big and wide with joy. I know Anne would appreciate the meals, but also could spend time with Harry and get to know him.
I nodded yes before throwing myself in his arms.

And that was the end of that.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

It was only two short weeks before I gave birth to my baby girl, Rose.

My labour started at around eight am and Anne was amazing at helping me through the first stage, supplying cold cloths and holding my hand through each contraction.

Once my contractions got to six minutes apart, Anne called for an ambulance and I was taken to the birthing room with my sister, myself, a midwife and a nurse. These are the only people that witnessed me giving birth to my daughter.

I was in labour with Rose for eighteen hours. It was long, arduous, painful and yet rewarding.

Once the umbilical cord was cut and the infant placed on my chest that I was able to see how perfect she was. A tiny curl of hair upon her head, eyes squished shut as if not ready to see the world. But what had my undivided attention were her ten little fingers and ten little toes.

So small, yet so incredibly perfect.

Once Rose was born some nine hours later and the midwife had checked over the baby to declare her healthy, did Anne reach out to the number I had given her for Harry and she notified him of the birth.

He arrived at the hospital that evening, under the cover of dusk to check on me and meet his daughter.

He was smitten from the moment he laid eyes on her. He smiled a beautiful, contagious smile that had Anne and I smiling too.

I have a daughter.

A beautiful, small, defenceless baby girl. I already know I would lay my life on the line to protect my infant.

Whatever my secret admirer has up his sleeve now I have no clue. But if any harm comes to my daughter, I will kill him.