Eight: Interlude.

[Ashland, Oregon. Sunday,
November 19, 2015.]

Y/n woke up to the sound of pots and pans hitting each other, the smell of fresh-brewed coffee also filling her nostrils. She rubbed her eyes and, after taking a moment to regain her composure, she sits up and opens her eyes. She expects to see the bright colours of her other bedroom but is instead welcomed by her normal room: moving boxes in the corner; cracks in the ceiling — nothing's changed.

Y/n moves her head to glance at the clock on her bedside table: 9:48 am.

'Maybe it was all just a dream.' She frowned before noticing the button-eyes doll on the chair where she left it, where the Other Mother was sitting moments prior.

She picks it up and analyses it. "I thought I left you in the living room," Y/n tilted her head to the side, staring at its lifeless eyes antagonistically. "Maybe Michael put you in here." As much as she wanted to believe this hypothesis of hers, the h/c-haired girl that this was but a pipe dream.

Her brother would never be that kind to her. It's just the way things are.

"Whatever..." Y/n used her spare hand to pinch the bridge of her nose before, eventually, setting the doll on her bed. However, an idea was donned on the teenager at that very instant. Why not open the strange door in the living room to test if she really was dreaming?

Y/n wanted nothing more than answers. Confirmation. Everything about last night felt so real. The food did as well. It was delicious... certainly way better than the slop that David makes every morning. The only thing that limited her imagination's leniency, therefore making Y/n almost hesitant to acknowledge that everything was real was the button eyes of her Other Parents. It's just unheard of.

She lifted the soft duvet off her legs and set her feet on the floor. She moved away from her bed — not bothering to make it — and instead left her room, not so discreetly zoomed down the stairs, and made her way toward the living room to further investigate her wild fantasy. 

Y/n goes to the large door in the corner of the room and was surprised to see that it was still ajar. She peeks behind and finds the wall of solid bricks. Yes, it was only a dream.

"Huh?..." a part of her felt humiliated for believing the authenticity of her dream. Of course, she wanted to get away from her life at the Pink Palace. She wanted to go back to Washington and live with her mother but, unfortunately, David wouldn't allow this.

She shakes her head and pushes the door shut, thoroughly disappointed.

Letting out an audible yawn, Y/n stretched by raising her hands toward the sky and stumbled into the kitchen and saw David shuffling around with plates. "Hey, N/n," he took note of the teenager's untimely arrival. "Are you hungry?" The older man questioned.

She wasn't hungry. Just tired. "No..." Y/n groaned.

"Well..." David paused, feeling concerned for his adopted daughter but he didn't want to force her to do anything. "Okay, did you at least sleep well?" He continued with his pile of morning inquiries.

"Yeah." Y/n nodded, trying to keep their conversation brief, short, and to the point. She never was a morning person.

"So, Y/n," David spun around to face his adopted daughter. "What's going on between you and that boy what's-his-face?" He sought to address the elephant in the room. "How did you meet him?" He pressed on.

"Um..." the teenager shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "His name is Wybie and we crossed each other's paths one day." Y/n lied.

"Really? When?" David could partially read her like a book. "Did you sneak out?" He asked, much to his daughter's surprise. How did he know that? Did Michael snitch?

Y/n could only stare up at the older man. She decided not to say a word. It would only make matters worse.

"Did you?" David repeated his inquiry with a scowl.

"Yes." She admitted.

At this confession, Y/n watched as her adoptive father tensed up. He straightened his posture and cleared his throat. "Might I ask why?" He raised a brow.

"I couldn't sleep," Y/n shrugged her shoulders. "And it's not like I got hurt or anything. I was prepared." Again, if there was any sort of threat lurking outside that night, the h/c-haired girl would've clobbered said target with the flashlight in an attempt to discombobulate them.

"I see." David bit the inside of his cheek, processing this information. "Well," he let out a sigh. "You're grounded." He concluded which caused Y/n's eyes to widen.

"Excuse me?" She should have expected a punishment for her reckless behaviour but being grounded is less than ideal. "You can't just—" as soon as Y/n went to argue her perspective on the whole ordeal, she was cut short by David.

"I don't want to hear it," he said, loudly. "And I don't want you hanging around him anymore. Do you understand?" The man of the household added and Y/n couldn't help but feel cheated. This was all very absurd.

"I..." she trailed off, finding words to be escaping from her. 

"Do you understand?"

Y/n took a deep breath. "Yes." She replied but she sure as hell wasn't about to comply with the outrageous term of not hanging out with Wybie.

//////

short chapter, i know, but that's what i was going for! (˶╹̆ ▿╹̆˵) ~ ✧