Chapter 18

ELIJAH

I stand outside my car with the door open, waiting for Jaina to come outside. Tonight, I feel amped up. I'm going to be responsible for her in the chaos and that thought doesn't sit well with me. I wish I could talk her out of it, but I know she's really into this for some reason and if anyone is going to make sure she's safe, that's me. I wonder if she even knows what she's getting into.

The front door opens, and Jaina slips out. I can't take my eyes off her as she makes her way towards me. Her hair is braided and pulled over her shoulder, her slender body is tucked perfectly inside a pair of dark jeans, and her sweater hugs her curves. She slips into the seat, and I shut the door behind her. I wish we were going on a date somewhere fun, not into the heart of LA to chase a bunch of idiots.

"Thanks for taking me," she says as I buckle my belt.

"No problem," I reply.

She tells me the streets and I nod. We are about twenty minutes away which should get us there right on time if her information is correct. I've been to a bunch of these with Bryant. Everything moves so fast, there's a chance this location has already been cancelled. Tonight, I will be her driver. It's the only way I know to spend time with her and I'm looking forward to the drive.

"What's it like to be there while they are spinning?" she asks.

"It's cool to watch if you're into that kind of thing,' I answer. "I can't help but watch and think of all the money they are wasting in tires, but some of my friends are super into it."

"Is it safe?' she asks.

"Honestly?" I ask. When she doesn't reply I know she's curious. "Yes and no. It's safe if you're far enough on the outside. But it only takes one person losing control of their car to take out an entire section of the audience. These drivers aren't professionals. They have a lot to prove with little experience."

Jaina nods. "Got it."

I reach across and squeeze her leg. "I won't let anything happen to you. Just stay close to me and when I say it's time to go, it's time to go."

She nods again and my chest loosens up a bit. I won't let her out of my sight.

The ride there is fast, the traffic mostly lightheaded into the city as compared to the bumper-to-bumper traffic trying to flee from downtown back to suburbia. I can hear the revving as we get closer to the intersection. Cars have been parked in along every curb and the owners and passengers are making their way to the center so they can watch. We can't get any closer in the car, so I pull us into a gas station that is already crowded with onlookers. I take the last open spot and pray no one double parks behind me.

The crowd cheers and hollers as the smoke from the burning tires begins to rise above the traffic and parked cars. A few drivers try to get out of the mess, obviously victims of timing and not interested in the spinning taking place. I feel bad for anyone who comes upon one of these take-overs by accident. They are intimidating and hard to escape.

Jaina walks quickly to catch up with me as I reach behind and take her hand. I don't know how much she knows about these things, but the cops will be here to break it up soon and I don't want her to miss her chance. I keep us a safe distance away from the spinning on a tall grassy hill at the edge.

A 2021 Chevy Impala pulls into the center of the intersection. It's painted a custom gold color that reminds me more of the seventies than anything in this decade. The passenger that had been hanging out the window hollering quickly gets back inside as the driver burns out. The smoke is rising, causing my throat and eyes to burn. A grey cloud makes it near impossible to see anything, but once it clears, we can make out the motion of the car as it begins to spin. A dark black track appears on the old pavement in the shape of an almost perfect circle.

The crowd goes wild, many people screaming as they take out their phones and record. Jaina seems to take it all in. I watch her as she pulls out her phone. I'm expecting her to record the action taking place in the middle of the intersection, but oddly enough she's filming the crowd. Her face looks determined, her eyes focused as she searches.

The Impala spins fast and faster, almost losing control and sliding into an old Dodge truck. This should be enough to shut down any event, but not with this crowd. This group gets more fired up the closer the cars come to each other. The Impala straightens out. He finds a small space and heads for it in an attempt to get out of the circle.

A Nissan 350Z pulls into the center. The front bumper is missing, and the tires are nearly bare on the back. We are far enough away that we won't get hurt if it blows a tire, but some of the people near the front of the circle might not be as lucky. This is what happens when you get a bunch of people together that like excitement but don't do their research.

The chirp of the police sirens are almost drown out by the revving of the engine, but enough people hear to cause movement. The cops can't get to the center of the circle due to all the onlookers, and many of these cars will play an unintentional interference role as they try to flee the scene and clog up all the openings back to the road. It's frustrating to watch. I hear a driver tell another driver two more streets and within seconds, the scene begins to clear. The smoke still blows down the street making it look like a post-apocalyptic movie.

"Let's go," I tell Jaina.

I have to tug her by her back pocket because she's still recording the cars around us. She never says a word, her fingers making quick work of her keyboard. I make sure she's tucked safe inside and then run around and get in my seat. Cars are already speeding away from the take-over, weaving in and out of traffic as if the police aren't there. The police are outnumbered.

"I don't know where they're going," she tells me.

"I do," I answer.

My dad would be so disappointed at my participation in any of this madness, but the pleading look on Jaina's face makes it impossible not to head to the next take-over.