Mismatched Compatibility (3)

Start from the beginning

“I'm going to a hotel to stay in for next few days,” she answered quickly, shrugging like it wasn't a big deal.

Huh. Well, good. I didn't want her to stay at mine in the first place.

“You're staying around town?” queried Luke.

I blinked a couple of times. Damn, I've almost forgotten that he was with us. I realized that I was easily distracted by my surroundings today. What was up with me?

“Yes,” nodded Daniella. “I told Peter that I'll be staying here for a while before going to the city.”

I snorted. “She forgot to mention the fact that she introduced to me to that faggot as her fcking boyfriend, and told him that I'm taking her home to meet my folks.”

At this, Luke's eyes widened. I found it pretty funny since he didn't get surprised very often. There even came a point when I thought that nothing in this world could shock him anymore.

“Peter's not a . . . faggot,” defended Daniella. “And can you please not swear?”

“Awe, why?” I mocked, leaning towards her. “Is the princess's innocence getting stained by my choice of words?”

“It's not polite.”

“Who says that I am?”

We had another round of staring contest. No problem with me – I could go all day, babe. But this time around, Luke stepped in.

“I can't believe you did that,” he whispered distractedly.

Daniella glanced at him. I could swear she looked a little ashamed.

“I know. I'm sorry.”

“What?” Luke asked her, his brows furrowing in confusion. “I'm talking about Ethan.” And then, he turned to me – amusement clear in his eyes. “I can't believe you let Dana introduce you as her boyfriend. I mean, if you denied what she said she wouldn't be here right now.”

Sometimes, I hated having smart friends.

“Why, what would he have done on a normal occasion?” Daniella asked curiously, like she wanted to hear some dirt about me.

She wanted to know what would happen, huh? Let me tell her, then.

“I'd leave you on the spot,” I answered tonelessly before Luke could.

Daniella's eyes slowly turned to me.

“So why didn't you?” she asked.

It took me a moment to answer that question because truthfully, I wasn't very sure myself. And I wasn't really in the mood to reflect on my actions right now.

“I like to help a damsel in distress every once in a while,” I made up, shrugging. “But not to the point that I'd take a random girl home to meet my parents.”

“Not to worry,” Daniella smiled sweetly, but I knew that kind of smile well enough to know that it was anything but sweet. “I'd rather stay alone in a mediocre hotel room than spend the night with a pervert such as you.”

“Careful, babe,” I warned her, waggling my forefinger at her. “Tons of girls would do anything just to spend a night with this handsome pervert.”

“I feel sorry for those girls' way of thinking.”

I burst out laughing.

Honestly, if she didn't get on my nerves because of her uptight character, I'd totally like her to have as a friend. She was cool, in a way. I guessed that was because she didn't put up with any of my crap. And she didn't think like most girls did.