17

(Reader's POV)

As I approach the end of the hallway after leaving Will's room and getting myself ready for school I stop in a moment of thought. Maybe I should just bring Michael with me. That way I can know for certain that William won't start off his day with aggression towards his son and Michael can go into school with a little bit of peace.

My decision made, I walk over to Michael's room where he's random homework papers from all across his room.

I gently knock on the door frame to get his attention and he quickly looks up at me.

"Hey bud, just wanted to know if you want me to bring you to school this morning."

He gives me a skeptical look, "Just me?"

I nod, "Yep, just you. I woke up your father for the other two."

Michael smiles a little, "Yeah, okay, I'll go with you." He puts the last paper in his bag and zips it up, "Better than sitting in the car with my dad."

With that, Michael and I exit his room and head toward the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs I see Elizabeth sitting at the table with Evan as the both eat some breakfast. Then I look over to see a very groggy William drinking a cup of coffee, I'm not quite sure how he got downstairs without me noticing. As I walk through the room, making my way toward the door with Michael trailing behind me I hear William let out an unhappy sigh causing me to turn to glance at the man.

"Really? Really, Y/N?" William says, irritated, "You wake me up to bring my kids to school, yet you're bringing Michael? Why not all of them?"

I roll my eyes, and silently motion for Michael to continue out the door without me, which he quickly does.

"I promised that I would just take him the last time and then because you," I point at him, "were still fucking drunk, I had to take all of them. And unlike most people, I keep my promises, so yes, I am bringing Michael to school and you can take Lizzy and Evan."

Without giving him the opportunity to respond I quickly leave and head to my car. Once I'm outside, I see Michael standing beside the passenger side door waiting for me. "Get in." I tell him as I climb into the driver's seat.

Once we're both in the car I pull the key out of my pocket and start the engine.

"Are you okay?" Michael asks.

I glance over at him, "Yeah, why?"

Michael shrugs, "You just seem a little... off."

Without a response I back my car out onto the road and begin driving.

"Do you want breakfast?" I ask.

Michael just looks at me confused.

I take a deep breath trying not to get irritated at him because it's not his fault that I'm tired, "Do you want like McDonald's or something? Like, before I drop you off at school?"

"Uh, yeah, sure." He responds.

I glance over at him before returning my eyes to the road, "Why are you so confused about it?"

"Well, dad doesn't usually-"

"Your dad doesn't usually do his job as a father." I snap, instantly feeling bad, "Sorry kid, I don't know where that came from, I'm just tired I guess."

Michael doesn't say anything right off.

"You're still mad at him." He says.

I blink, "What? Of course not, he apologized." I reply as I turn the car in to the McDonald's parking lot.