Chapter 7

Gon woke up in a strange bed. The all-encompassing migraine that had wracked him earlier had subsided to a dull throb. Gon could only feel a trickle of nen flowing from Killua right now. He must be quite far away, Gon thought. He took in his surroundings – he was in what looked to be a log cabin. It was quite cosy, with its warm fire, fluffy rug and only slightly worse for wear sofa. Peering out the window Gon saw that yes, he was in a forest. Has Killua figured it out?, Gon thought, Is that why he is gone?

Gon got up, then spotted a note on the table.

I've gone to scout for a boat to take us to the new continent. I will be back soon with supplies.

P.S. I think I'm being followed

-K

Gon thought for a moment, then picked up the pen next to the note and replied:

Understood.

I think I know why I've been blacking out. It's because your aura is affected by your emotions. I've decided to go a short distance away until you find this note, then I can come back safely.

-Gon

He sat and stared at what he had written for a moment. Then grabbed the note, scrunched it up and threw it in the fireplace. Then he went to sit and wait on the bed, cross-legged.

*************

So far Killua hadn't had much luck finding a suitable vessel to get them to the island. They're either too slow or too small to make it across in one piece, thought Killua. There was one boat that had caught his attention – a medium sized, state-of-the-art yacht. It stood shining in the harbour, its sleek white hull a stark contrast to the quaint fishing boats that bobbed around it, and to the larger shipping vessels that slugged around in the commercial zone.

Killua had attempted to find out who the owner of the craft was, the news about the dock was that it had only recently arrived and was owned by "some scientist type". A mysterious fellow by all accounts, bespectacled, tanned and fierce, he had left quite the impression on the locals. Nobody knew where he could be found, however.

"He'll be back tomorrow." one fisherman had told Killua. "Buys a fresh octopus off've mine uncle every Saturday, he does."

All things considered, Killua had made the decision to wait till next morning. Alluka - or rather Nanika - has powers we do not understand, Killua thought, and we have very little to go on. While she is just a child, Nanika is from the dark continent. It's not like I trust her judgement, but she thinks this is just a game. She is probably safe. Gon's condition had caused Killua to slow down and consider things more carefully. I was being reckless and scared. So Killua had vowed to get some sleep and a proper meal, and discuss the situation with Gon.

So now Killua was on his way back to the cabin he had found with arms full of groceries. He had decided it was most likely a holiday home, and unlikely to have any occupants this time of year. The sense that he was being watched was gone, but he didn't let that stop him from employing his previous career's skills to cover his tracks. Killua's pace slowed and slowed as he got closer to the cabin. Eventually he stopped ten or so meters from the door, his face lowered until it was almost hidden in the bags he was carrying. Perhaps he will be asleep, he thought. A few leaves drifted down from the trees around Killua, carried gently on the breeze. Killua watched them fall. This is ridiculous, Killua thought as his brows furrowed. With a shake he started forward, glaring at the door as if it had insulted his sister. He reached it and wrenched it open.

*************

Gon could feel the level of Killua's aura and his own apprehension rise steadily as Killua got closer. He's just outside, Gon thought, why isn't he coming in? The fireplace crackled and spit as a long moment passed. Is something wrong?

Then the door burst open. Killua stepped inside and shut the door behind him with his foot, then dropped the groceries onto a nearby table. What's this flavour of aura I'm getting?, Gon thought. My head is pounding but it's not like before. Maybe it's mixed?

"Are you feeling better then?" Killua asked, and added "Had a long enough nap?"

"About that... Killua I-"

Gon was cut off. "Have done nothing but slow me down? Yes. I know." Killua started to cut vegetables, facing the wall. "It was a mistake bringing you. The fee for using my aura is going to be extortionate, you know."

There came no reply.

"Alluka has got it into her head that she is stopping me from hanging out with you, you know." The chopping was furious now. "So it's your fault she is gone." Having finished a carrot, he flung the knife into the chopping board where it stuck, quivering.

"I bet you-" Killua continued, until he heard a strange hiccupping sound.

He turned around. Killua was incredulous. "You're crying?!" he choked.

Gon was indeed, in tears.

"This, this is a lie!" Killua yelled. But that wasn't right, and he knew it. "You... You left me behind!" Killua shouted, as Gon began to sob.

Tears began to form in Killua's eyes. "Why are you crying? Stop!" he demanded.

"I missed you." Gon spluttered out as he bawled. "I – I miss the way things used to be, be-before I..." Gon broke off into more tears. "I'm sorry!" he sobbed.

Tears freely fell down Killua's face, he spluttered "You think you can just expect me to accept that?"

Gon's crying petered out. "Of course not" he sniffed. "We're going to find Alluka, and then I'll go." With that, Gon lay down and rolled the blanket over himself.

"But I do." Killua whispered.