Chapter 3: Another lie

(Y/N) POV:

Guilt. That's the only thing I felt as I pulled the curtain aside and entered the tent where I would meet the rest of the team. Teresa was there and Frypan and...

                      'Where is Chuck'

I looked around in panick trying desperately to spot him but it became clear that he wasn't there.

                 'Maybe he's just not here'

I tried to reassure myself as ai felt a comb forming in my throat.

'Maybe as I was coming in he was-'

"Y/N? Is it really you?" A female's voice. Teresa. I looked at her. She was looking at me shocked, confused. The first one actually wondering how I was alive. Everyone else were just glad I was there. But I could see it she was asking herself "how". Frypan also was looking at me not saying anything.

"Rose, I'm Rose" I said knowing that explained nothing. Then again it didn't have to. I didn't want to lie anymore.

"How are you alive-? We- we saw you fall, I mean- this doesn't make any sense" Frypan monologued completely ignoring what I said. I looked at Teresa again. Her expression unusual. She was trying to read through me, her eyebrows frowned. She was trying to understand. I knew I had to explain-lie at that point.

"I'm Rose, Y/N is my sister we're twins and we were separated by WCKD. She was immune I was not." And that's where I stopped. Biologically what I said didn't make any sense at all. We were identical twins so the chances of one being immune to something the other was not we're extremely slim. But the boys were no doctors and Teresa didn't remember anything so I was safe or that's what I thought. Teresa looked away thought for a second and looked back at me.

'She knows'

Frypan looked down again not caring anymore. The rest of the team entered Newt, Minho and Thomas. Teresa got up took my wrist and led me out of the tent pushing the boys aside on our way out.

"What are you doing Y/N? What's all this nonsense about identical twins and separation?" She asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I said with an indifferent tone yet I wasn't looking at her.

"Rose is dead." She stated and I felt my blood leaving my body. "Rose had been dead for the past 8 years" she stated

'How does she know?'

I turned at her fear in my eyes.

"You- you remember..." I realized and now she was the one to look away. I didn't move, I was waiting for an answer.

"I do" she said with a sigh realizing she messed up. I thought for a second what I would ask next.

"Do the others know?"

"They will I guess..." She replied with a tone that made me want to ask more. She sounded disappointed and sad. Why? Before I could deduce anything she spoke

"Why are you doing this?" I didn't want to think about this.

"For my mother" I said because that's what I had agreed I would answer to this question. "I can't leave her"

"Liar" she murmured. I didn't say anything to that. Was it a lie? No...

'but then why do I feel guilty'

Silence. I couldn't stand it. Silence made me think and I didn't want to think about this. Not now.

"Where is Chuck?" I asked. She didn't reply, didn't even look at me. "Oh..." I exclaimed. I felt tears in my eyes. I held them back. Didn't want to think about this either.

"Gally killed him" she said.

"Why?" I asked immediately. This didn't make sense. Gally didn't come with us. He stayed back with a few others. He didn't want to come.

"After we left the grievers attacked the glade. He was stung by them and turns out he followed us. He wanted to kill Thomas and Chuck... He saved him" she explained.

"Oh..." Same reaction.

'Thomas shot Gally so he's probably-" she continued.

"I don't care Teresa." I cut her off. I really didn't care about what happened to Gally. He killed Chuck that's what mattered. I didn't want revenge I just wanted Chuck back. I wanted to cry.

'No stop it!'

My promise to Chuck echoed in my head. -I'll keep you safe-

'STOP IT'

Thought of Chuck flooded my mind. He was smiling he was happy peaceful and then he wasn't anymore. He was dead.

"STOP IT" I screamed. I couldn't breathe. I felt my neck swelled and my hear was racing. Teresa looked at me scared.

"Y/N?" She hesitated to say my name but the sound of it pulled me out of my thoughts.

'I' m a terrible person'

I realized.

"You should go" I advised her. I didn't want to be around anyone anymore. I felt vulnerable and I hated it. Again she hesitated. I don't know why. I guess we used to be best friends but obviously we didn't care as much about each other as we used to.

  Eventually she left and I was alone with my thought again. Recalling our conversation trying to push aside any thought about Chuck or why I chose to lie once more. As I repeated our conversation in my mind something struck me as odd. When I asked her wether the others knew her reply was...odd. I mean by itself it wasn't since she said that eventually the would learn the truth so...she would tell them...right? But then again why did she sound so...distant...sad almost.

    I decided to go look for my mother after a while of not being able to answer that question. I needed to know whether she informed the others to call me Rose. I assume she was in the meeting tent with Vince and Mary discussing wether or not they would let the gladers stay.

I now wish I had payed more attention to that question. Because maybe I could have figured it out and prevent some of the things that were about to happen...

A/N.   :
So I'm... yeah. It's been...well...wow two years! That's um that's a lot. So heyy I'm back haha.😅 Tbh I wasn't planning on ever continuing this story. But suddenly I decided to delete all my email notifications and I saw the comments on my previous chapter and y'all inspired me again. And though I'm not really into tmr anymore I decided to finish the book bc you guys deserve it. Thank you so much for sticking by and inspiring me to write something again. Also if you want me to keep on adding memes about tmr in the beginning of the chapter like I used to lmk.
Thank you for reading.