one

Sage Adler

I could go my entire life without hearing the words Pogue or Kook ever again. This stupid war between us is the bane of my existence and somehow, the root of all of my problems, including my hatred for my job. Working at the country club has its perks, sure, but the way I'm  treated makes me feel like scum on the bottom of every Kook's shoe.

"Hey, Pogue! Why don't you do your job and bring me another brewski?" Topper Thornton, King of the Kooks, yells at me from his hole. I turn in his direction to see that he's with Rafe and Kelce. Lucky me. I turn back to the golfer I was just serving.

"Here's your change, sir, you're all set. I'll be back around if you need anything else," I smile politely, hoping he tips me well. I'm never sure about new customers, it could go either way.

"Thanks, honey," He grins at me and hands me a $5. I don't miss the way his eyes wander, but hey, I just got a 100% tip.

After he walks away, I turn back towards Topper to see he's staring at me from a distance. He throws his hands up as if I'm taking years to get him his beer. Rolling my eyes, I get in the cart and drive towards them, preparing myself for the insults that are about to be hurled my way. The three stooges have a special hatred for people like me. You know, poor people that have to work for a living. It's some classist bullshit if you ask me.

I park right by their hole and step out. "What can I get for you, Topper?" I ask in the most monotonous voice ever heard. I have a really hard time being nice to people like them, but I can't afford to lose this job.

"Aw, look at you, being all sweet. I will take a Budweiser, thank you very much," That condescending tone of his would be rewarded with a swift kick to the nuts if we were anywhere but here, and he knows that. We've had enough interactions outside of the country club that he knows I bite back.

"Sure thing. Rafe, Kelce, do you guys need anything?" I ask as politely as possible, going around to the cooler. This job is so humiliating. Not only am I treated like an object because I'm a woman, I'm also talked down to because I'm a Pogue.

"I'll take a Bud Light," Kelce says. He's never been one to single me out like Topper and Rafe do. He's actually kinda nice to me when they aren't around. Too bad he follows them around like a lost puppy, mimicking everything they say and do.

"Jim Beam, neat," Rafe barks out. I look up to find that he's not even looking at me, he's staring down at his phone.

Rafe Cameron. He gets on my nerves even more than Topper does, and he knows exactly what to say to ruffle my feathers. He likes making me mad, getting a reaction out of me, and I hate that I give it to him. It's just so hard not to when he's spewing shit about my life, my friends, or my family. It pains me to admit that I've honestly always found him attractive, but I'm too blinded by his douchebag personality. There's no getting past that asshole exterior. I'm sure there's nothing underneath, anyways. At least nothing of substance.

I gather their drinks and begrudgingly bring them over, making sure to plaster a fake cheery smile on my face. I hand Topper and Kelce their drinks, but Rafe has yet to look up from his phone. I stand there awkwardly for a few seconds before speaking up. "Rafe. Your drink."

He looks up and sees my arm extended out to him, waiting for him to take it. He gives a little grin before grabbing it and taking a sip. I bring my arm back and wrap both of them in front of my chest. He puts his sunglasses on, but I can feel his gaze linger down my body. "That's a cute little skirt you've got on, Sage."

Topper and Kelce chuckle beside him and my fake smile automatically turns into a bitchy one. "It's my uniform. Your total is $18."

Once again, Kelce and Topper chuckle, but this time because of my hostile attitude towards Rafe. He takes a step towards me and my smug smile falls a little.