Chapter Three: Hardcore Mode

"Hey, this isn't the hospital."

Dan glances at me as he maneuvers the hovercar into an underground parking lot. He turns to me, eyebrows lowered and mouth set into a serious line. "I haven't been honest with you, Denizen, and I'm sorry."

What? My stomach drops to my feet and I flick my gaze out the windows. Reserved for heroes, reads the holosign hovering at the edge of the parking spot. To its left is another holosign, this one reading Temporary Hero HQ with an arrow pointing down a hallway.

Frost settles into my bones and my heart freezes. "Dan, why are we at the heroes' headquarters?"

"Well..." He switches off the engine with a tap of his finger, furrowing his brow and brushing his hair away from his face, "...you see, my name isn't Dan. It's actually David, and I'm a hero."

Why is he telling me this? Dragging in a strangled breath, I shake my head, shifting in my seat so I face him. "Why are we at the heroes' headquarters?"

"I think you've been...messed with by Blank Slate."

"What?"

Dan raises a hand, palm facing me. "You've been exhibiting all the signs of the effects of Blank Slate's powers and, well, you helped us with our security systems so you may have enough valuable information that he attacked you."

My pulse thunders into my ears, ringing with static and the stab of ice from my power. He—knows? Is this it? Is it over already?

Fierce, burning cold jolts down my arms as my heart leaps into my mouth. It takes all my effort to force it down. No, calm down. Think. Dan—David—thinks I, my civilian alias, has been attacked by Blank Slate. He doesn't think I am Blank Slate.

It's not over. Not yet.

I close my eyes, breath rushing out all in a rush. I'm not caught. It's okay. Breathe. As the blood in my ears fades from a roar and the sharp bite of my power eases, a new thought arises.

I can use this. If David thinks I, Denizen, am a victim of Blank Slate, and if I don't mess up and give myself away, I can lead them off my trail and fish around for more information at the same time.

Sour laughter returns to my throat, fueled by fool's fire and a manic, unhinged amusement. Yes, pretending to be a clueless victim of my own alias is a great idea. It totally can't blow up in my face with a single, tiny slip. Oh no, not at all. Playing with this fire is completely safe.

Is this what villains feel like when they burn down buildings?

The laughter vanishes like a computer bug just before IT comes around. Probably. And if it is, I want nothing to do with it.

David's voice pierces through my thoughts, jerking me back to the real world. "...I know this is a lot to take in, but we will do our absolute best to take care of you and make this right."

I shake my head, resisting the urge to tear my hands through my hair. Get a grip, I tell myself. This is your best chance at turning this mess into something useful. And besides, I managed to hide my villain identity before just fine. This would be just the same, except on hardcore mode. Extreme hardcore.

"I don't know what to say." The words are strangled and watery, the last tendrils of the sour laughter causing its edges to shake. At least I don't have to fake shock. "This—hero all this time—are you sure it's because of Blank Slate?"

David's expression hardens, the spark in his eyes retreating into deep shadow. "I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I've seen his work before and this matches up too well not to be him."