Chapter 1 : A promise long ago

The sun was setting, and autumn is starting. as some tree leaves starts to fall, and birds gathering in a group of trees only to fly all together. A lively and enthusiastic little boy was running with his friend, a shy and timid little girl. They were good friends since Kindergarten, and despite the differences of their traits they still get along as they share alot in common.

As they came closer to their destination, they stopped for a short while and the little girl points at their destination.

"Over there! at that big tree, come on, Masahiko!" said the little girl.

"Let's go then, Misaki."
The little boy replied.

Masahiko and Misaki then competes with one another towards the big tree over a small hill, as they arrive at the steeps of the hill, Misaki unwilling to lose to Masahiko. Trips over and scratches her knee, and stumbles over and started to cry.

Masahiko seeing his friend injured, pulls out his handkerchief and tends to her wound.

"Its just small scratch, your not going to die because of it!"
said Masahiko, somewhat his way to encourage her.

"Ah- what are you saying?! Is that your way of tending a lady?"

Misaki replied in an squeaky angry voice with some tears rolling on her cheeks.

"Spare me the act! are you gonna get up or what?"

He did not wait for Misaki to reply, and went on his way of carrying her on his back, and runs to the top.

"Whaa?! what are you doing you idiot!?"

Masahiko then shouts.

"No one left behind! Ahahaha!"

He energeticly carries Misaki to the rop, where the tree stood.

"Ahhh- curse you and you heroic fantasies!"

* several minutes pass *

Masahiko : *panting*

Misaki : "Idiot, you dont have to carry me I could just walk on myself, it took us minutes to get here!"

Masahiko : "Its because your heavy, and if you can just walk all this time, why didn't you just get down when im carrying you?"

Misaki : "It will be rude, and why not?"

Masahiko : "Your lazy as ever. * chuckles *"

After taking a rest and having some conversations, they decided to do it. They stood up under the tree, and carve up their names on it inside a heart.

Misaki : "Their, now we raise our pinkies and make a promise."

Misaki and Masahiko locked their pinkies with each other. Masahiko, promised Misaki that he will always be by her side, and Misaki promises the same. They made this promise with each other as they were childhood sweethearts and dreams of being happy with each other, but that is before the world removes all the innocence in their lives.

2 weeks after their promise with each other, Mashiko's mother had an affair with someone and fled to the country side leaving him alone, his father did the same with his mother when he was only 2 months old. Fortunately his grandma was visiting that time, she learns of the horrible truth and took care of Masahiko. So he had to leave Kanagawa and live with his grandma in Shizuka.

They're sudden leave meant that Masahiko didn't get to say goodbye to his friends, and even when he had the time, the intense feeling of abandonment and loneliness prevents him from opening his mouth. Even his childhood friend Misaki, knew he already left untill she visited him with her parents.