Chapter 15: The Predictions

Start from the beginning

He just remained standing there until Director Alvarez left, but when he realized that he was holding an eyeglass, he walked towards his car again and got inside. He also took out the silver necklace and looked at those two things in his hands.

He didnʼt know if he would go to Rhian to ask about the items he had found in the described place where Rhian had landed, and he was even more confused as to why, out of the many places, he thought of a serial killer or whoever did that to Rhian.

Nang makabalik siya sa resthouse, agad siyang nagtungo sa itaas at pumasok sa loob ng slaughter room, ngunit saglit lamang siyang sumilip doon, agad na rin siyang lumabas para pumunta naman siya sa kaniyang sariling kuwarto.

On a covered wall, Vahn unfolded the white cloth; there, a white board with many writings and pasted pictures that he had taken of the corpses and how they were murdered by the mysterious serial killer could be seen.

Maraming mga kaso ang dapat na pagtuonan ng pansin, pero ito lamang ang ibinigay sa kaniyang special mission task—ang imbestigahan lahat ng mga kinalaman tungkol sa serial killer. During the six years that he served as an NBI agent or as a detective officer, it was only now that he had the courage to face all the consequences.

He had encountered a lot in those six years, but why was today so different? What drove him to pursue these things even though it was impossible to solve this case because that serial killer had been living in this world for several years, ten years?

“Vahn, magfocus ka! Hindi ka dapat nag-iiisip ng mga predictions!” sabi niya sa kaniyang sarili. “I will solve the special mission assigned to me. I must not disappoint Director Alvarez for the trust he gave me, especially my teammates.”

He dared to stick Rhianʼs picture in the middle of the board, which is starting to connect all those involved in this case since Rhian was also the last victim who still lived despite what happened. “Hindi ko alam kung anong sikreto ang itinatago mo, Ms. Luther. Hindi ko alam kung nagsasabi ka ba ng totoo sa akin o... palusot mo lamang ang mga ito.”

Using the pin, he pierced it and connected it to the picture of the two tandems; even though they confessed, he couldnʼt skip those who were involved in the case. "I am still ready to cooperate with you, Ms. Luther. I know you need me too, pero kung magpapakatotoo ka sa akin, I might even save your life from the people who... are trying to get you.”

Vahn immediately shook his head. Rhian Luther is just a strange woman he met; why would he save someoneʼs life if he is also the reason why many people are—

He shook his head again and seemed to be confused by his thoughts. He remembered what Director Alvarez had said: get to know someone well before judging them.

***

Monday, eight oʼclock in the morning. Nasa loob na ng taxi si Rhian, suot ang shades para hindi siya makilala ng mga taong makakakita sa kaniya lalo naʼt pinaghahanap na rin siya ng media para sa interview, pero ayaw niyang harapan ang mga ito.

Her friends have been calling her for a while, but she doesnʼt answer them, and sheʼs afraid to go with them because she fears there might be someone waiting outside the boarding house. She wants to tell them that they need to be careful, especially since they are also the reason why, for the past few days, they have been waiting for an update from the police when sheʼs missing.

Itʼs not that she canʼt deal with them. She just wanted to stay away for the safety of her friend. “Tsk! Paano kung puntahan kaya natin siya sa bahay niya? Hindi ba sabi naman ni Auntie, nagpunta siya noong Friday para kunin ang kaniyang mga gamit pabalik sa bahay niya?” sabi ni Nikki na nag-aalala. “Sunduin natin siya. Baka hindi siya pumasok dahil sa nangyari.”

“Baka nga hindi talaga papasok ngayon si Rhian. Kita niyo naman sa balita, kahit na safe na siya ngayon sa pamamagitan ng isang detective agent, hindi pa rin maiwasan na ma-curious ang mga ito kung ano ba talaga ang nangyari sa kaniya,” sabi naman ni Jennifer.

“What really happened to Rhian?” Kristen asked in surprise, and even friends asked the same question.

“Hayaan na lang natin siya. Maybe she just needs to rest first and be given space and opportunity to... think,” sabi ni Lance at bumuntong hininga ang mga ito.

They went through the parking lot because they needed to park the van. They canʼt go through the entrance gate, especially because someone might be waiting for them there.

They werenʼt sure, but there were people watching from inside the parking lot; they were riding in a car, and they seemed to be watching the friends walking towards the campus. “Chief, hindi nila kasama si Ms. Luther. Hindi yata papasok iyon,” sabi ng isang lalaki habang mayroong hawak na phone.

They heard the voice of the chief, so they called. Itʼs better that they watch over those friends because they are the police assets assigned to monitor Hyder University and also to make sure that every student is safe because of what happened to Ms. Luther.

Nang makababa si Rhian ng taxi, nanatiling nakasuot pa rin ng shades ang kaniyang mga mata.

Parang ayaw niyang tanggalin ito, pero nasa tapat na siya ngayon ng Hyder University, at mahigpit na ipinagbabawal ang physical style at pormahan sa estadong ito dahil kung hindi, maaaring maparusahan at madala sa detention office.

She continued walking, but was shocked when she bumped into a woman and the books she was holding fell. She helped that woman pick up a fallen book, but when the shades she was wearing also fell, they were both stunned, and the woman looked at her face.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ng babae nang makitang si Rhian Luther pala iyon. “Y-You?!” Rhian raised her hand to tell this girl to stop making noise. “Ms. Luther, hindi ko aakalaing... makikita pa kita ng buhay!” natutuwa nitong sabi.

Tumingin-tingin ang babae sa paligid at sinigurado niyang walang ibang nakapansin. “Sa tingin ko, kailangan mo nang magmadali. Nandiyan ang mga media na nag-aabang lang; kapag nakita ka nila, sigurado ako na pagkakaguluhan ka nila.” Nanlaki naman ang mga mata ni Rhian, at talaga ngang nagkatotoo ang kaniyang predictions.

They both stood up, but it was too late when Rhian put on her shades. Some were stunned, and some shouted her name, and immediately the reporters and cameramen ran there.

“Слишком поздно...” (Slishkom pozdno...” means, “Itʼs too late...”) bulalas ni Rhian.