Chapter 10

Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Florence, Italy

"Luisa, can you believe the gall of them have the nerve to show up to a private party and expect an invitation. When we don't know them, what good is their word to us? I mean honestly pure tactlessness. Hopefully they won't be too hard to spot with their big heavy English dresses, that way we can stay far away from them the entire evening."

"Madonna, be careful with what you say tonight they might not find the Italian sense of humor amusing. They are known for being quite brutish." Maddlena just nodded her head and responded.

"Don't worry about me, I'll behave myself. If I ever was stupid enough to make that kind of scene Lorenzo would marry me off as soon as possible."

"And you don't want that? Do you want love?" Maddalena stopped walking and turned to face her friend and maid.

"For a woman like me, we marry for our families. Love isn't really important no matter what people may pretend. Men will be men, and women will put their hearts into something that's not worth it. I think not, I will not give no man the satisfaction of humiliating me then locking myself in a room to burst into tears that my nobel husband has fallen from the pedestal that he was once placed on." Luisa looked at her inquisitively.

"So then you'll never marry? You'd make a wonderful mother and very beautiful children." Maddalena let out a light hearted chuckle.

"The choice of whether or not I do indeed marry is not my own. That choice lies entirely with my brother, and I do know for a fact according to Giulianno that he's already entertaining requests for my hand."

"Do you know who's asked?" Luisa asked

"I don't know everyone but, Stefano de'Valentini the Duke of Milian has already asked for my hand apparently." She answered somberly, Luisa looked at the young girl surprised

"What's the matter? I thought that the two of you were good childhood friends."

"Yes we were. I just haven't seen him in a few years. It just feels so weird, yes he's handsome, and yes it's a great title but, I don't want to leave Florence Luisa. Florence is my home. I don't think that I could live anywhere else and be truly happy."

"Shush! keep your voice down, we don't need your mother hearing you talk about this. Then she'll really give you a lecture about 'your duty and your responsibility to marry for your family as a women"

"Yes I know, let's just find something else to do, I swear that if I'm stuck in this house for one more minute I'm going to lose it." Luisa began to follow Maddalena to collect their outdoor cloaks. When they were quickly stopped by Sandro. Sandro was a marvaless painter who grew up with their family. They noticed his talent early on and commissioned and sponsored him to share his many works of art with the world. He's also been the one to Capture Maddalena's likeness in many of his works of art. It's partially because of him that people began to officially dub the young girl with the title of 'the Most Beautiful Woman in the World." But to Sandro, Maddalena was so much more he did everything in his power to show that true beauty radiates from within to make the woman even more beautiful. It was because of this that Maddalena had become Sandro's muse.

"Maddalena, Lorenzo wishes to see you in his office. It seems quite urgent." Maddalena just rolled her eyes and huffed her way to her brother's office. Once there she knocked on the door.

"Come in" her brother's voice rang, so she entered just like he asked.

"You wished to see me brother?" She asked him.

"Yes sister, It appears that you're very popular." Maddalena just rolled her eyes at the statement and crossed her arms over her chest hoping her brother would just get to the point.

"I've received an offer for your hand in marriage from the Duke of Milian. However, I also received word that the entire Tudor court has come to Florence and apparently requested to come to the celebrations this evening for Saint Luke." He paused for a moment and looked right into his sister's eyes for a moment to make sure that she was indeed listening to him. But, before he could continue she beat him to it.

"What is your point Lorenzo? If it was to call me in here to rehash old information then this visit is just a waste of time-" He cut her off right there and said.

"I must admit dear sister I do find it a bit odd that the entire court had to come. If it was just to get an account with us or funding then they would just send an ambassador or someone not the whole entire court. Don't you think it's the slightest bit funny?" he asked her.

"Lorenzo, what is your point?"

"Maddalena, I believe that they came here for you! I think they're all here hoping to woo you into accepting a proposal. Most likely from the second oldest son, but still a good catch. You'd be a Princess!" He said, after his long speech all Maddalena could do was laugh. Now he was annoyed.

"Maddalena, this is not a joke or a funny matter." She continued to laugh as she responded to her brother.

"Oh I'm so sorry Lorenzo, but come on that sounds absolutely ridiculous, why on earth would they go all this way for a second son? It's absolutely ridiculous."

"Remember, if you don't marry this year you'll marry next year you're at the perfect age to be wed and we don't want to lose good offers while they're still on the table." After he said that she stopped laughing. Her face turned serious as she turned to face him.

"Why must I be married first? Bianca's older and Bianca is also very beautiful."

"Yes sister Bianca is older and also very beautiful as well but, Bianca isn't you. It's not Bianca's name that's known all the way around the world with Beauty and prestige, it's you, and only you and no one else." After hearing the words leave her brother's mouth Maddalena composed herself before she said anything else that she might regret later and left the room.

Once she left the room she made back to her bed chambers where Luisa was waiting for her. Apparently, once she had finished with her meeting with Lorenzo it had become time for her to begin getting ready for the Party and Luisa was already ready for her to unload it all on her.

********************************************

Hey, I know I already said this but wow, we're getting so close to Tudors and the de'Medici's genially meeting. Any predictions ?

Best as always,

Elle