Chapter 22: A Lot Of Hair To Braid

Começar do início

"So, where'd you want me to start?" She asked.

"Tell me about school."

"Well, I kept my promise to stay out of trouble." She began. "I won Most Improved Student and Student of the Year."

"I am so unbelievably proud of you right now!"

"And Josie, Lizzie and I are best friends again," she continued.

"I'm so happy to hear that." I told her, genuinely pleased to hear about her time in my absence. "It sounds like you've done quite well for yourself."

"Yeah, I guess." She said with a shrug. "Aunt Hayley helped. And Aunt Freya. And Keelin. And—well honestly it took everyone's help. Especially Dad's."

"You two getting on then?"

"Yeah. It's been great getting along with him." She replied. "I feel like I finally know him. Without drama and monsters and Hollows."

"You two are so alike, I knew it was only a matter of time."

"Really?"

"Oh yes, tortured artists with a heart of gold," I said with a laugh.

"Well when you put it that way..." Grace joined in with my laughter but I could see the thousands of questions running around her mind. "Can I ask you something?"

"...Sure."

"Do you remember Amelia?"

I could feel my grip on my daughter's hair tightening and I took a moment to calm myself down before continuing.

"What do you know about Amelia?" I questioned.

"I saw a painting she and dad did together." Grace replied. "I just wondered who she is."

"You'll have to show me it later." I requested. "So I can burn it like I did the others."

"...Guessing you two didn't get along."

"We did at first." I began. "She was my handmaiden. And when your father went to war, we became quite close."

"Miss Fiore, it's time for your morning feed." Amelia said as she knocked on my door.

"Go away." I mumbled softly into my pillow.

"Miss Fiore?" The door opened before I could do anything about it and now I was scrambling to hide my tears away from the stray human we'd picked up. "Did you not hear that I was—oh. Apologies, I didn't realise that you were—"

"Just get inside." I muttered miserably before going to sit at my vanity. Amelia did as she was asked and took a knife, prepared to open her artery as she did every morning. Only this time she hesitated.

"You know Miss Fiore, I appreciate that you do not drink directly from the vein." Amelia began. "But if it would cheer you up, then I would gladly give you permission to do so."

I laughed wryly at her comment and turned to look at her in a new light. "You would do that for me?"

"Of course." She said with a resolute nod of her head. She moved her hair from her neck and bared it eagerly to me. "Anything to please you, Miss Fiore."

"Hm." I was surprised by this offering and almost considered taking her up on it. Killing someone might have greatly improved my mood. But I was trying to be better. "No thank you. From the wrist is fine."

She nodded and did as was asked, pouring her blood into a cup and handing it to me. "I know not when Nik will return so if I were you, I'd start rationing his blood before you are forced to take Elijah's."