But her four children had taken her husband's name. Rhaenyra, with the unfailing support of her father, had stood against the naysayers at court. She had decided to name her eldest son, Jacaerys, as her heir, which had started a whole host of opinions and judgments. Not only was she a whore, but now she was a hypocrite too.

The door opened again and Aemma floated in the room.

Aemma Velaryon was the eldest. She had her mother's eyes, a purple tinted blue that shimmered behind a mass of unkempt brown curls. She was playful and wild like her mother when she was young. Aemma was fiercely protective and loyal to her family and house. Though, there was a mysterious air about her, she would often fall into bouts of silence, only speaking when spoken to. No one knew what caused it, but in a few hours or days she would return to normal, always speaking and thinking way beyond her years.

Luckily, Aemma had not been affected by Rhaenyra's declaration of her heir. She had agreed that Jacaerys would be better suited.

Aemma went straight for her mother, "Are you alright? Where's the babe?" Those indigo eyes, which noticed all, narrowed as she took in the dried sweat on her mother's forehead and the wince she tried, in vain, to hide from her daughter.

Rhaenyra nodded to a cooing crib in the corner and all the children ran to it. She smiled at Harwin's silent question. Yes, go see our son.

They all gathered around the crib where the baby slept.

"What is his name?" Jace asked.

Jacaerys Velaryon was the eldest son. His dark hair flopped smoothly down his forehead, shielding his equally dark eyes. He was quiet in the presence of his uncles and the adults around him. He knew that his mother had named him her heir. He, like Aemma, was exceptionally aware. The two of them could feel the tension growing within the castle, it was all they could do to shield their brother from the worst of it.

"Your father has christened him as Joffrey Velaryon."

Harwin shifted his weight as Rhaenyra took the baby out of the crib and placed him in his arms. He rocked the child slowly. His hulking frame dwarfed the tiny bundle in his arms.

"Joffrey." Luke's smile and glittering brown eyes were enough to brighten even the darkest of days. He watched the babe carefully, glad he was no longer the youngest of the children.

Lucerys Velaryon was Rhaenyra's sweet boy. His round face was kind and constantly lit up in a smile. He followed his brother around everywhere and was easily convinced to play with his uncles, to disastrous consequences.

Rhaenyra sighed as she took in her family, the people she loved most in all the world. She would protect them with her life. And she would do her duty. She would never forget the prophecy her father had passed down to her. She would be queen. She would unite the realm. She would protect them from the ice and fire biting at their heels.

Aemond, Aegon, and Luke gathered around Jace as the Valyrian trainers brought out Jace's dragon, Vermax. Jace spoke with the trainers who gave him the Valyrian prompts to the young dragon. Giddy with excitement, Jace commanded Vermax until the time finally came.

"Dracarys," he said. Vermax shook once before charring the lamb to a burnt crisp.

Dracarys. Aemond longed to be able to say it. To command his own dragon. The egg placed in his cradle never hatched and despite the high chances of dragon eggs never hatching, Aemond felt his anger rising inside him. His idiot brother, Aegon's egg had hatched. Both of his nephews had dragons. The only ones who could feel the shame he felt were the young girls amongst them, his quiet sister, Helaena, and his niece, Aemma. Their eggs hadn't hatched either.