IX

Aemond's arm was strong and unyielding as they walked down the makeshift aisle in between the long dining tables. And even after, his presence beside her, however silent, was a welcome reprieve to the distance between them before.

But Aemma's nerves were never far from reach. Aemond's gift burned a hole in her gown, a deep green this evening, and her fingers kept reaching for it in her pocket. Throughout the day, she had become accustomed to its weight, the feel of it against her fingers. But she would not give it to him while they sat at the tall table at the front of the hall, no that would come with a whole host of complications. All added to the fact that she still did not know how Aemond would react.

And the later it got, the less Aemma thought she would give him the gift at all.

That fact bothered her most of all. She was a no good coward. She tried once and then gave up. Had run away with her tail in between her legs. It was insulting. Her mother would be disappointed in her for not giving it her all.

Movement caught her eye to her right. Aegon had stood and passed Helaena to speak over Aemond's right shoulder. Aegon's grin was nothing short of vile. He spoke too low for Aemma to hear, but she watched Aemond stiffen. His jaw clenched and his hand fisted around his fork. If Helaena could hear what her husband said, she did not react, eating with her eyes ahead, her back straight against the high back of her seat. Aegon stood, clapping Aemond on a shoulder before returning to his seat. She watched Aemond for a while longer, his chest rose and fell in heavy pants.

"What did he say to you?" The words spilled out of Aemma before she could stop them. She felt a sudden desire to protect him, to take away the strange, restrained anger that she could feel with every deep breath he took, seemingly to calm himself.

Aemond shook, tremors going through him.

Aemma leaned forward over the table. Aegon was already looking at them. "What did you say to him?" she hissed, not as quiet as she wanted, since Alicent's head whipped towards them, but she did not say anything.

Aegon gave her a smile before settling back in his seat so she could no longer see him.

She looked to Aemond again. "Are you alright?"

He had returned to his meal, his breathing having slowed back to normal. Still, he said nothing.

"Aemond, please."

It was as if she had not said anything. Aemma bit her tongue. If he was going to ignore her, then so would she.

The rest of the evening came quickly to a close. Queen Alicent and the Hand, who had sat beside her at the other end of the table, stood and declared the feast completed. As soon as the sovereign passed the large doors, the queen helping the king back down the aisle and all of the guests standing to watch them go, Aemond stood, almost knocking down his chair.

Aemma grunted at the abrupt yet fluid way he left the table, "Hey!"

But he was gone, disappearing into the dispersing crowd.

Aemma floated back to her rooms, aggravation and annoyance carrying her to the comforting solitude of her quarters. A ghostly shadow gliding through the fire-lit halls, barely even seeing the world around her. The only sounds were the whispers of her gown along the ground and the light patter of her shoes.

She was far into her head, retreating into the far reaches of herself and her thoughts.

Aemond kept hurting her, over and over he pushed until she could only go so far. It was enough. She had enough of feeling less than him, less than everyone around her. A part of her wanted to keep trying, to keep waiting at his silent side until he could see that she was there for him, that she saw him - saw his inner turmoils, his insecurities, and his anger - and never cared about any of it. Never cared about his eye, or any of the shortcomings he saw in himself, the shortcomings his mother and brother made him feel.