IV

Throughout her first year of living at King's Landing with the Greens, Aemma wrote to her mother on Dragonstone. She told her about the things that brought her happiness: flying on Seasmoke, the peace of her rooms, the sunlight pouring into the castle, Eleanora's comfort and warmth. She told her about things that bothered her: how the court thought about her, the noble girls her age who ignored her, the men of standing and influence who despised her existence, and Alicent's rules and order.

She never heard back.

She did not know if her mother had grown angry with her, if she had decided to dismiss her, if she chose to ignore her, or if she simply forgot about her. In her young heart, this one hurt the most.

But what she did not know was that her ravens were intercepted, and never sent to Dragonstone, just as she did not know that her mother's ravens were intercepted and never given to Aemma in King's Landing.

But still she filled letters and letters of how she spent her time. And after their first few flights together, those letters were filled with Aemond.

Aemond Targaryen was her closest friend. They spent everyday together, talking, playing, flying, and studying. Both of their namedays had passed and they had spent both days flying, much to their surprise, the queen had allowed them the days off from their lessons to do so.

Aemma's eleventh nameday, a few weeks after Aemond's celebration of his eleventh nameday, was a simple affair. If it could be called an affair at all.

When Aemma had descended into the kitchens for breakfast - which she was accustomed to do over eating in the hall with the rest of the court, Eleanora and the other servants had a small feast prepared for her. They had made all her favorite foods and desserts.

"You mustn't tell anyone," Eleanora said, giving her a conspirator's grin as she pushed a plate of cakes towards her.

Aemma thanked her, before digging in.

"Are you going to eat it all?" a voice asked from behind her. Aemond's grin came into view.

"Aemond?" Aemma was surprised, she usually ate alone. Perhaps Mara joined her or Gally, or even Eleanora if she could spare a moment. "What are you doing down here?"

"Ser Criston can take a break from our lessons this morning," he said. "I've come to celebrate your nameday. Eleven years. We are one once again."

Aemma blushed, "Thank you." She pushed the plate towards him, "All yours."

He grabbed a cake for himself and sat down on the table beside her, "I've spoken with my mother, she says we are free to fly again today."

"The septas will have my head," she said with a smile, though she was glad for the gesture. She would take flying over lessons any day.

Aemond's grin faded, "I-I thought we must celebrate somehow."

Aemma knew what he referred to. For his nameday some weeks ago, they held a great feast and a tournament for Aemond - the usual celebration for a prince or princess. On her nameday, nothing had been planned. In fact, Aemma was surprised that the queen knew it was her nameday at all.

"I do not mind," she said. "Dragonriding with you seems like a good enough celebration for me."

Aemond's smile was all the gift she could have asked for.

And so, it became clear what the Greens did and did not expect of Aemma Velaryon. She was to be silent and generally unseen, otherwise she was to attend feasts and events beside Aemond Targaryen as his betrothed, though their eventual marriage was left as a nebulous thing, undefined, and never realized.