"I'm happy here," I said.

"If success was based on how happy you were, you'd still be writing books holed up in your old bedroom."

I pursed my lips, trying not to let her words get to me. I didn't want to argue. "Did you need anything else?"

"Oh, don't get mad, Maisie. I know you understand everything was for your own good. And look at you now! Preparing to go to medical school, making your parents proud."

"I'm not mad," I said steadily, even though my pulse pounded in my ears and my stomach felt tight. I didn't want to hear this. "I'm just busy."

"Too busy for your own mother?"

"It's dinner time. I'm about to eat."

"Something healthy, I hope."

"A salad," I threw out, the healthiest thing that popped into my head. "I don't want the lettuce to get wilted, so I'm going to go eat now."

My mom sighed. "Oh, alright. I'll hang up. Should I still send you the photo for Mikaela?"

"No. Tell her to go to her primary care doctor and they can give her a reference to a dermatologist."

"Ugh, I'd hate to disappoint her like this. I talked you up so much."

And that's my fault, how? I thought to myself but kept my mouth shut. I could hang up soon. "I'm sure she'll understand why cancer can't be diagnosed by a photo."

"No need to be sarcastic, Maisie. I'll let you go, but I'd like you to send me at least five medical schools you're interested in attending by tonight so I can do some research, too. We'll help you choose the best one."

And by help, they meant they'd select the one they'd believe I would attend because it would become just another thing I had to lie about. I realized I was clenching my jaw and forced myself to relax the muscles. "Fine. I'll talk to you later."

"Don't forget. Love you."

She hung up before I could respond and I tossed my phone onto the couch before falling back against the cushions, feeling more exhausted from one simple conversation than an entire day on set. All our conversations went the same and they all left me with an unsettling feeling. I didn't enjoy lying to my parents, and I hated that it seemed I had to add to the lies with every phone call, but I had no other choice. But then it gave me anxiety not only because of the lies, but also because I had to remember everything I'd said to keep my stories straight.

"If they just let me live the way I wanted to, I wouldn't have to do this," I mumbled to myself, throwing my arm over my eyes.

I'd wanted to write tonight and maybe get an update out for my readers, but now I didn't think I could. If I sat in silence, I'd just replay the conversation with my mom in my mind over and over again trying to figure out a place where I slipped up even though I know I didn't. I needed to find something else to distract myself. Videogames? K-dramas? Maybe Levi would want to chat over the phone?

Levi sounded like the best idea, and I wanted to tell him about my day anyway, so I picked up my phone again to text him. As I did, a text from Director Ahn popped up, reminding me of the get-together, asking if I would come, and giving me the address. I ignored it, shooting a text to Levi, asking if he was around to chat.

While waiting for his response though, curiosity ended up getting the best of me, and I went back to Director Ahn's message, clicking the address to find out the location of the party. The Chateau Marmont popped up, making my eyebrows raise. I didn't know much about the hotel, but it seemed like a pretty fancy place to host a get-together. Had they rented out the restaurant or something?