4 | the stage {fem!itafushi}

𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖌𝖊

A/N: Another day, another fic named after a gay song. (See 'the stage' by Shura) This is a sequel of Ch. 2. It's so fluffy and maybe inconsistent with the first part...—

No Curses AU/Genderbend! Itafushi

Yuuji asks Megumi to do her makeup, and Megumi just casually invites her over that same day.

This year's season was starting, and Yuuji was ecstatic, being able to play matches with Megumi again (and the rest of the team) was something she was definitely looking forward to doing. Last year was great, though they lost some, it was still less than half of all the matched they played, so it counted for something.

Yuuji had become well acquainted with most members of the team, though there seemed to be a bit of a divide between the freshmen last year and the upperclassmen. Presumably, because they were the new people and everyone already knew each other. Though Yuuji knew everyone, that didn't mean they hung out when they weren't playing. The people Yuuji spent time with the most were undoubtedly Nobara and Megumi.

But there was something different about Megumi. It sounded stupid but she was drawn to the other girl in an inexplicable way. Megumi was so beautiful and so smart. Yuuji could tell her mind was running all the time. The way her gaze would track across the field, and in a second she was already in the process of enacting whatever she previously worked out. Somehow, she always looked to Yuuji when it came to helping, and Yuuji could only hope to reciprocate the way Megumi wanted her to.

Over the past three months, since the summer had ended and the new year began, Yuuji had come to notice more and more things about Megumi. Not that she hadn't noticed these things before, she just finds herself looking at her more and processing Megumi's actions like she would a game almost.

Megumi Fushiguro was a person who thought more than she spoke. Yuuji could go a long time without hearing Megumi speak, then suddenly she'll give her input, and it's always something insightful. It's always something that seems as though she's given some time before saying.

They hung out after practice sometimes, when Megumi agrees, and one dusk-tinted sky, Yuuji couldn't stop herself from pulling some of the grass strands that had gotten into her hair.

"What are you—" Megumi starts to say, then realized as her eyes follow Yuuji's movements, "Oh. Thanks."

"Sorry—I uh couldn't help myself," Yuuji says giving a shy smile, and then, "I loved that save you did, probably where all this grass came from."

"Yeah... I wasn't thinking about it." Megumi shrugs.

"I think that's when I play the best," She notices just how long Megumi's eyelashes are, "When I'm not thinking."

Megumi liked to read, and if she wasn't reading, she was working on her book of puzzles. It had word searches, which were her favorite, sudoku, and various word riddles.

When Yuuji asked about it, Megumi said her Dad got it for her from the dollar store after she finished her word search puzzle book she had from middle school.

"He never knew what to get me, and when I first got it I kind of thought it was a stupid gift..."

When she mentioned her dad, there was a certain sadness to it that makes Yuuji think he might not be around anymore. Maybe he died, or left? She doesn't ask because although she considers them friends, they aren't close enough to discuss something like that.