Chapter 2

"This is... amazing."

Asterius's gaze fluttered around the room, taking in every corner, every part of the black expanse of the underground hideaway.

"Those deep, greyish blues and blacks," Asterius continued, "Reminds me of space."

Vizor smiled, sharp teeth glittering in the somewhat dim light. "That was, indeed, the purpose of the design. Glad you like it. Now..."

The demon swept his tail across the ground as he turned to the map that covered part of the left wall. It seemed to be of the surrounding area, a large section of desert siding next to jungle and forestry. He placed a hand on the map, his palm pressed against the aged paper.

"Where are they?"

From his hand came black tendrils of shadow, silently snaking across the map. The areas on the map became dark as the shadows crawled. Then, suddenly, it was back to normal. All except for the small, swirling section of darkness that hovered over a standing of small buildings in the forest.

Vizor grinned. "There they are."

"Hello? You there, buddy?"

Akik blinked, shaking his head a bit. "Sorry, what?"

Blaza stared up at him, worry crossing his blue gaze. "Is something wrong? You've been acting really weird today."

The nephalem sighed, rubbing his arm. He didn't want to make Blaza worried. But he'd felt, and still felt, a... familiar presence.

One he really didn't want breathing down his neck.

"It's nothing," Akik shrugged, "Just... distracted. Yeah."

Blaza's expression clearly showed his disbelief, but he said nothing.

Wings flapping made Akik's gaze snap to the right. An orange hybrid with demon wings landed, his two tails swaying as he easily regained his balance.

"Hey, Dusk," Akik said, greeting the young hybrid.

Dusk nodded. "Hi."

Dusk glanced at Blaza, failing to hide what could only be trouble in his eyes. "Can... I talk to Akik? Alone?"

Blaza shrugged. "Sure. I'll be in the house if you need me."

And so the human waved farewell as he walked away to a nearby home.

Akik stared after him for a moment before blinking, and looked back to Dusk. His tail flicked. "What do you need?"

Dusk inhaled sharply. "Have you been... feeling something off today?"

The smile Akik had painted on himself to hide the anxiety he felt melted away into a frown, his lips pressed tight together. "You, too?"

Dusk sighed. "Alright, I guess it's good that I'm not the only one feeling it. At least I'm not losing my mind."

A nervous chuckle escaped his mouth.

"What do you think it is?" Akik queried.

"I... don't know," Dusk exhaled. "I-I mean... it reminds me of..." He shook his head. "But that's not possible."

Akik tilted his head. "What is it?"

His question was answered by a loud BANG as he was sent tumbling to the ground by an invisible force.

It was dark for a moment before his eyes reopened. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. His ears rang, the sounds around him muffled through the high-pitched noise. Blaza, he was here. Akik shook his head slightly, trying to hear what he was saying. Had he been unconscious long enough for him to come out, or had he been out the whole time? He didn't know.

"Akik! Akik!"

Finally his hearing cleared, and Blaza's voice was now easily deciphered. Dusk was off to the side, already up and staring at something behind Blaza with dread.

"B-Blaza?" Akik stammered. He took a deep breath in, then out, trying to grasp the reality of what the hell was even going on. "What's... what's happening?!"

"I don't know, come on!" Blaza pulled his husband to his feet, running while gripping his hand tightly. Dusk, still stunned, quickly followed, a sheep following the panicking herd. "We have to find the others and get out of here!"

Akik looked over his shoulder, his eyes widening as he saw the dark, shadowy pall. The entire clearing was dim, the sun mostly blocked by what could almost be described as a black net that covered the area. One of the houses, Meme's old one, Akik recalled, had been completely decimated, random debris scattered around the site.

A figure stood there - no, two. One taller, one shorter. One unfamiliar.

But one he would know anywhere.

Impossible.

But yet he kept running, his heart racing from the physical activity as adrenaline filled his veins and in fear as memory after painful memory crossed his mind.

He can't be back.

No.

Another presence behind him. The figures had disappeared.

Realizing what was happening, Akik threw himself in front of Blaza.

And collapsed, a screech of pain wracking his body as a blade sank deep into his shoulder.

Blaza turned, eyes wide. "Akik!"

"No, run! I'll be fine!" Akik urged. In his light cyan hand he summoned an orb of light, illuminating the small area. He threw it, and it turned into a force that stopped Blaza and Dusk from coming closer. A force field. Protection.

Tears in his eyes, Blaza gave Akik one last, terrified look before turning and running away.

Blood was spilling quickly from the wound in his shoulder. Akik swore, wishing his healing powers would work on himself. Curling his claws around the blade, he yelped as he yanked it out. Before he could see what it was, there was something sharp at the soft tissue of his neck. Someone else stood above him, the shorter figure from earlier he hadn't recognized. Amber pupils met his eyes, accompanied by a wicked smile.

"So you're Akik," he said. Even with his childlike look, maturity was definitely something that he understood.

"Who are you?" Akik demanded.

The planet child pressed his fist closer to Akik's neck, some kind of knuckle duster pressing into his skin. "No questions."

Another, taller figure walked closer. Akik's eyes widened as he immediately recognized the demon that now stood there.

"V-Vizor?!" Akik exclaimed, expression twisted with disbelief.

Vizor grinned. "Hello, old friend."

In his hand he summoned his blood red scythe, and struck the side of the blade against the side of Akik's head.

A split second of a shocking pain, and then darkness as Akik slumped to the ground.

A/N
1034 Words
Chapter written by: TheAddieDragon
No spoilers on what happens to Akik :3